Anyone tried the Davis Carchip on the HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone tried the Davis Carchip on the HCH?

Originally Posted by jlambeth
My goof, the sentence is under the "Non-Support Vehicles" section and I read that sentence too quickly.
Yeah, that threw me at first too.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I talked with a rep about these at the SEMA show one year about using one in my Insight, this was back in 02 when Hybrids weren't nearly such a big thing. They said that every time the engine shuts off it would probably shut down and if it turned back on properly it would consider it another trip. It's just too freaked out by the engine turning off I guess.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had one and it did not work with my HCH. It would log fine until the first auto stop, then stop logging until the key was turned off. Then repeat the cycle.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by countrysHCH
I’d like to adjust/control:

- The amount of battery usage before certain gas saving functions turn off.

o At 50% battery IMA is not used much at all, car goes into battery recharge mode.

- The amount of IMA used when pulling away from a light, or climbing a slight hill.

o I’d like to boost the amount used to full electric motor assist, uses less fuel to get car up to speed.

o On slight hills motor assist works, but only up to three bars, unless gas pedal is push much harder. Wastes gas, motor assist if needed should go to full scale, then fuel should be added after that.

- Control over when stop engine shuts down at traffic lights.
As NASA said, the MIMA (Manual Integrated Motor Assist) and PIMA (Programmed Integrated Motor Assist) system for the Insight is out there ... I would love to have this option.

I definately agree that more aggressive assist under initial acceleration and short hill climbs/bridges would be an asset. Even a way of inducing assist without changing pedal pressure to increase speed if the limit changes ... or to use it if you are trying to maintain speed around 80+mpg but you find a slight loss (5 mph over a few miles) and want to regain the speed without lowering FE, I guess that would be a pure assist based pulse. I am under the assumption this what the MIMA is capable of but not if you use just the PIMA part of the system.

I think they spoke of using a deep cycle 12 V battery with a converter to increase capacity and reduce depletion of the pack. If you could use something like the Optima sealed battery, you could make your own pack (I think high-end audio systems do this at competition level). Make it fit behind the battery in the HCH if you don't use all the trunk space, or in the lower storage bin in the Insight, if the weight wouldn't exceed the benefits.

I guess in the next generation or two it might be there, until then we either wait or hope the MIMA/PIMA becomes easily available.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by countrysHCH
Don’t get me wrong I believe Honda engineers have done a great initial job setting up the program(s) in our cars. And the cars systems design is spot on for everyday drivers. But the programs appear to be very conservative. I believe more can be done to further enhance the systems our cars already have in place. Hope someone is able to come up with a product like I mentioned above.
Agree 100% with you. But let's face it, we are a bunch of ultra-enthusiasts here on this forum. Tech-savvy and dedicated. Definitively in the minority. For the average Joe and Jane, Honda did the right thing by making the software control conservative.

But just like you, I would like to have more control of my vehicle. I don't think Honda would be too happy with it though, and it may even void the warranty.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The more advanced and control-capable modern vehicles get the LESS control they seem to give us over it. That's what I am finding annoying. I can't lock the doors the way I want to, I can't make the lights shut off when I turn the car off, I can't tell the car to stay autostopped when I move the shifter from D to P, etc. And the Honda's not even bad compared to the american cars. I rented a Checy Cobalt over the holidays - no matter what position the headlight switch is in - auto, manual on, etc, the dash lights will not come on until it is actually dark outside. This really sucked. Also the doors all unlocked when you put it in park, locked themselves at some speed, blah blah the list goes on forever.

So they can make the car control more and more things, but they allow us to control less and less of it. That's getting pretty irritating. So yeah, it would be nice to control the IMA more actively, but crap, at this point I'd settle for control over the door locks! :-)