Audio PC Card Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Audio PC Card Question

Yeah, there is something wrong some where. It should not be that difficult. As long as you're playing MP3s, you should not problem. I have a pretty complex folder hierarchy and it works just fine. I can go up or down with no problem.

Weird how it works on your computer but not in the car. That would make me think it might not be the hardware but the Nav system.

Last edited by AZMerf; 03-24-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

i just bought a 4 MB Sandisk Compact Flash from Amazon for $127 (after rebate) It works fine with WMA files - never tried MP3's. I've been ripping CD's at 128kbps so it should hold about 80-90 CD's from what i've seen so far. Would love to have a larger size since i'm used to an iPod which can hold 400-500 CD's.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

I'm D U M B... Figured out what my problem was, SD cards are not the same as Compact Flash, haha... Finally figured it out, exchanged the SD for the compact and now it works great... Thanks for all the help though guys...

Old 03-28-2006, 06:05 PM

Not a problem and not that unusual. I had to do a lot of research to understand all these different electronic devices. I hate getting old!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Utah
I'm D U M B... Figured out what my problem was, SD cards are not the same as Compact Flash, haha... Finally figured it out, exchanged the SD for the compact and now it works great... Thanks for all the help though guys...
I have used an 1 GB SD card (not a compact flash) in the card reader since day one. It has working the first time every time. Now, however I am using a 5GB Hard drive based card for more space. I believe that the cards may noy work properly if they are not formatted correclty or with the right type of formating. I believe, if I remember that the card reader will not read NTFS but it will read Fat 32 formatting. For my SD card, I used a generic card 6 in 1 card adapter.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:41 AM

If you like the 2GB card, Buy.com is have a great sale. Kingston Technology 2GB card for $54.95 plus free shipping after a mail in rebate. Best price I've seen so far.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...54&dcaid=17654

Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There may not be much of a point in buying a huge card.

According to the manual, you can only have up to 999 songs, organized in up to 99 folders, organized 8-levels deep.

They say not to use microdrives, but they don't say why. Heat is usually the argument against them.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by blinkard
There may not be much of a point in buying a huge card.

According to the manual, you can only have up to 999 songs, organized in up to 99 folders, organized 8-levels deep.

They say not to use microdrives, but they don't say why. Heat is usually the argument against them.
Depends what you call a huge card. An mp3 song typically takes 2-3 MB. So you need at least a 2GB card for 1000 songs. That's huge in my book. And if you're into classical music you can store a whole symphony as one "song", and it takes 30-40 MB.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 4 GB card and was concerned about the 99 folder limit but so far i have well over 100 folders without a problem. I if i rip 4 different songs from 4 different CD's for 1 artist it shows up as 5 folders organized by CD - for example Folder 1 (Rolling Stones) -->one level down Folder 2 xxxx, Folder 3 xxx, Folder 4 xxx. Next Folder up is Folder 6.

As far as Card Size 4 GB at 128kbps looks like it will hold 80-90 CD's. Not really a lot - compared to an iPod. I tried ripping at 96 kbps but i noticed a real difference in audio quality for the 20% savings in size.

Last edited by Cityscapex5; 04-04-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Being

Has anyone confirmed if SD cards work? I'd rather get one of those than a CF card, b/c my camera takes SD instead of compact flash, and I'd be able to use it multiple purposes!

Quick Reply: Audio PC Card Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands