Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Auto Stop (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/auto-stop-4781/)

ftlum 11-30-2005 07:31 AM

Auto Stop

Hi All.

I'm trying to figure out if my auto stop is working correctly. When the engine turns back on (and to a lesser extent when it turns off), there is a split second where the engine vibrates a little. It's the sort of feeling you get when a car idles roughly. Does your car do this or not do this? I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it in for repair.

thanks,

-- Frank

hweldon 11-30-2005 07:45 AM

Re: Auto Stop

Mine slightly vibrates a little also. I think it's pretty normal.

Howard

dshelman 11-30-2005 07:49 AM

Yep -- normal.

Don

livvie 11-30-2005 09:36 AM

Ok... is normal for 06? I have an 03, and I don't have the vibration described.

CGameProgrammer 11-30-2005 09:38 AM

Every '06 HCH does this. It's a bit of a nuisance but it's easy to just take your foot off the brake a second or two before you actually need to start moving, so that way it's ready when you do.

dshelman 11-30-2005 09:42 AM

Mine's an '06, yes.

gonavy 11-30-2005 10:20 AM

HAH gives a quick shake too. split-second high vibes on startup are fine; if they persist once at full idle then there's an issue.

Different people have different reactions to different amount of shaking; a person saying "it vibrates a lot" is almost useless without some type of objective reference or measurement (granted that's tough to do in the driver seat without some fancy tools). It's like calling music "too loud."

IMAhybrid 11-30-2005 04:58 PM

i notice that slight vibration in my 05

zimbop 11-30-2005 09:03 PM

Think about a regular car when you start it, doesn't it vibrate funny when the starter is cranking? Seems perfectly logical that it should run rough for a moment while starting up.

dlingner 12-01-2005 03:12 AM

It vibrates more when you try to accelerate right away from auto stop. If you let up the brake, wait a moment, THEN accelerate, the vibe is hardly noticeable.

Tim 12-01-2005 06:43 AM

This has been discussed before in other threads. My recollection is that people with the 03-05 HCH do not experience this to the degree that the 06 folks do. I've never had a vibration after an auto-stop in my 03, however it seems a good amount of 06 owners notice this.

CGameProgrammer 12-01-2005 08:59 AM

Vibration is not the issue. The problem is that there is a delay between when autostop ends and when the car begins moving forward. If you just want to creep forward, this delay is very long -- at least one or two full seconds. If you press the gas pedal after letting up on the brake, the delay is about a second or slightly less, but that's still annoying, and the car lurches when it finally gets in gear.

jmg14213 12-01-2005 04:09 PM

I only notice the vibration on restart if I try to stomp the gas immediately on lifting the brake. If I "pause" on the gas long enough for the engine to actually restart BEFORE trying to drive away, then I get a smooth restart and drive away.

I never notice a vibration on "stall", but then again I try to keep brake pedal pressure as low as possible so I can coast as far as possible after shut down.

Matt

NASAgineer 12-01-2005 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gonavy
Different people have different reactions to different amount of shaking; a person saying "it vibrates a lot" is almost useless without some type of objective reference or measurement (granted that's tough to do in the driver seat without some fancy tools). It's like calling music "too loud."

I think that's very true. I noticed the brief delay when I first got my 06, but now I don't notice it at all. I did some experiments when I first got the car, and again after reading this thread, and found that if I take my foot off the brake and press firmly on the gas as fast as possible, there's about a half-second delay before the car starts accelerating. If I just take my foot off the brake without pressing the gas at all, it takes maybe a second before it settles down into a steady idle and starts creeping. When I take my foot off the brake and press the gas at a normal speed (without trying to do it fast, but also not trying to delay at all; basically the way I drove my previous non-hybrid), I don't perceive any delay. In any case, I don't notice any vibration.

ftlum 12-02-2005 07:11 AM

My experience is definitely a vibration no matter how quickly I hit the accelerator. I actually don't feel any delay the way I drive.

Autostop also makes it hard for me to stop gracefully. Usually I'll lift my foot up partially off the pedal as I come to a stop so that the car doesn't lurch back and forth when it finally stops, but (epsecially on a hill) when the engine turns off, this becomes more difficult to do. I think it's because I can roll back a bit when the engine disengages and that more brake pressure is require at that point.

-- Frank

dshelman 12-02-2005 07:23 AM

I tend to think of it as a shudder, not a vibration. To-may-toe/to-mah-toe.

Don