Bernardi extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Bernardi extended warranty

The Honda Care rep was able to clear up some confusion about which "battery" we're talking about here. The battery under the hood (the 12V) is the one that is pro-rated after 3 years and is not covered by the extended warranty. However, the IMA battery (in the back seat) is fully covered for 8 years/80,000 miles by the standard warranty that comes with the car. My standard warranty booklet agrees with what Honda Care said and shows both the 8yr/80k coverage for the IMA battery (on last page) and describes the 3yr/prorated coverage for the other battery (pg 37).

"The sample Honda Care contract is also consistent. If you go to the link:
http://www.jayhondacare.com/Sample_Contract.htm
and scroll down to WHAT IS NOT COVERED it says:
"...wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; steering wheel; belts;...."
That's what I thought I had read about the IMA battery early on in my research on whether to take a chance on the hybrid!

I too, believe tarabell's statements are THE FACTS. (And very-well articulated, tarabell!)

Where are folks reading something else?

It's very possible, like tarabell mentioned, that when the word battery is mentioned, folks were assuming IMA battery. In fact, the pro-rata coverage is just like most normal 12V batteries have. The IMA battery has an 8/80K (or better in some states) separate replacement warranty.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tarabell
The Honda Care rep was able to clear up some confusion about which "battery" we're talking about here. The battery under the hood (the 12V) is the one that is pro-rated after 3 years and is not covered by the extended warranty. However, the IMA battery (in the back seat) is fully covered for 8 years/80,000 miles by the standard warranty that comes with the car. My standard warranty booklet agrees with what Honda Care said and shows both the 8yr/80k coverage for the IMA battery (on last page) and describes the 3yr/prorated coverage for the other battery (pg 37).
That is some mighty fine research tarabell. Thanks for all your effort.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

"Knowledge is power" as my Dad used to say.
Thanks to those who raised questions and got me moving!

Two of the dealers who wanted to sell me the extended warranty gave me correct but somewhat misleading information about the IMA battery coverage. Gary Force Honda said "I don't want to possibly give you the wrong answer--call Honda Care at this number and get it straight from them before you buy." Which to me, added to his credibility.

I recommend anyone who is thinking of buying a Honda Care extended warranty do the following things:
- read your standard warranty booklet to know what you already have
- read a sample Honda Care contract
- talk to your dealer (but don't believe everything they say)
- call Honda Care at their 800 number above to confirm any detail that is important to you, and ask about anything you don't understand

Old 02-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

I recommend anyone who is thinking of buying a Honda Care extended warranty do the following things:
- read your standard warranty booklet to know what you already have
- read a sample Honda Care contract
- talk to your dealer (but don't believe everything they say)
- call Honda Care at their 800 number above to confirm any detail that is important to you, and ask about anything you don't understand
Thx for researching this Tarabell - I did steps 1, 2 and 3 you outlined above and it was actually the dealer that told me the "battery" referenced on page 37 of the Warranty book was the nickel-metal hydride battery and that the Ext Warranty would not cover.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

...I did call the dealer who sold me my car to see if they would match the internet quotes I got and there was no way, he told me.
Did you local dealer dangle the "you get a full refund at the end of the term if you don't file a claim" carrot in front of you? I know some local dealers (mine included) promise to do this, as an incentive to get you back in the showroom in 8 years (or whatever the term of your extended warranty is). Clearly Internet dealers will never see you, so have nothing to gain by offering this.

The decision I have now is:

Go Internet
  • 8yr
  • 100,000 mile
  • $0 deductible
  • $875 from Moss
  • No refund if not used at end of 8 years
Go local:
  • 8yr
  • 100,000 mile
  • $0 deductible
  • $925)
  • "Full" Refund if not used at end of 8 years (less the interest I lost by letting the dealer use my $925 for 8 years !)
Who said you need to live in Vegas to Gamble !

Old 02-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

No, my dealer didn't offer me the "money back if not used" incentive. But he would have had to charge me nearly $400 over Bernardi's quote so don't think I would have taken that bet anyway.

But your dealer is only going to charge you $50 more than Moss? That's pretty tempting if you do the math and compare how much you're ahead with your dealer after 8 yrs if you never use the warranty. But you'll have to decide if you think the odds are with you. Hey it's only money, right?
If you get it and do require one or more minor covered repairs after 3 years, you may have another cost analysis to think about--i.e., is it worth paying out of pocket for this so I can still get my refund? But if you have a truly major covered repair, you'll be ahead so much anyway that I don't think you'll lose sleep over the extra $50.

Also, does "filing a claim" mean only warrantied repair? Does using *any* aspect of the extended warranty invalidate the refund such as if you call roadside service for a flat tire or lock your keys in your car?

If you get it, get it in writing. And let us know how things turn out.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just wanted to follow up that Gary Force Honda came through. Got the Honda Care package in the mail last week. I haven't sat down and read every word but all appears to be as promised. Thanks Tiger.
Again this was the max possible coverage--8yr/120Kmiles/zero-ded/$976.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just wanted to follow up that Gary Force Honda came through. Got the Honda Care package in the mail last week. I haven't sat down and read every word but all appears to be as promised. Thanks Tiger.
Again this was the max possible coverage--8yr/120Kmiles/zero-ded/$976.
I got the 6/120k warranty from Bernardi. I called Gary Force Honda on Friday (3/3), and spoke to Matt Lyons - he told me that he is no longer able to accept phone or Internet Honda Care applications and suggested I try Jay Honda if I wanted to buy it online or via phone.

Bernardi was around $100 cheaper than Jay for the particular warranty I wanted, so I went with them. Called them first, confirmed a few questions, and sent over my application. I got an email that night confirming my purchase and letting me know that Honda had 'accepted' my application (awful nice of them to agree to take more of my money).

The paperwork from Bernardi arrived yesterday in the mail along with a copy of a form letter letting me know that I should see the official paperwork from Honda in 4-6 weeks.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda Czar

I got my Honda Care Warranty from myHondaWarranty.com. They are a dealer as well Saccucci Honda. The best part is they were cheaper than Bernardi and offered a 12 month payment plan. They are the same people that run HondaPartsDeals.com, where I got all my Civic accessories. I had gotten a coupon for$50 off the warranty when I had ordered my accessories via email. Thanks for all the help.

http://www.myHondaWarranty.com