Car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car wash

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
The car washes here that take the car through have Pegs that catch the wheel and Push the Vehicle through with vehicle (Not-Running) and in Neutral. So no gas waisted until it gets to the end and the attendant then starts it up and moves it to where it is Dryed-Off.

All Auto car-washes take there toll on your (Painted-Surfaces) unless they are the ones that have what here is referred to as (Touchless) "No-Brushes" to touch and leave as has been mentioned here, swirl-marks on your New Vehicle, especially the Painted Darker Finished Ones. You can get away with using them longer on Light Colored Finishes. It still does it, you just cannot see it as easy.

HTH

Terry
I cringe when I hear about automatic car washes. As others have pointed out, the damage from the brushes are very harmful to your cars paint. Also, am not a fan of the touchless knid. I have only been to them twice but I had a big problem the second time I went to one. The pressure was too strong and it damaged the paint on my 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula. It put several chips on the hood and roof of the paint. It may have been just that car wash but I will never take the chance again. The car wash would not pay for the damages and I had to pay out of my pocket to have it fixed. Normally I just hand wash my vehicles which is the best. The do it yourself car washes with the pressure sprayer are not to bad because you can control how close to get to the vehicle with the spray reducing or increasing the force of the spray.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

See if there is a "self service" car wash near you... they typically have a dial where you can select different kind of rinses, foam, etc. I use one and it is about $3.50 to get a good wash.

Originally Posted by Sledge
This is going to sound like an extremely dumb question, but since I do dumb questions so well, I might as well go for it.

I took my HCH2 to the car wash today. As it gets pulled through, the engine is always idling and my average MPG just plummets. Is it a big deal to shut the car off while in the wash and restart it when I exit?

See? Dumb, right?

This car could really use a forced EV mode like the well known Prius mod.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Has anyone used those spray jets that spray upwards under the car ? Any chance they'd cause a problem with a Hybrid ??

Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 AM
YA RLY.

In winter I always get the "Bottom Blast" to clean the crud and slush off the bottom. In Michigan you almost have to so the salt that sticks to your undercarriage gets removed and doesn't have time to corrode the metal. In only 5 years of driving, my old 2k1 Civic had to get one of the pins that hold the catalytic converter's heat shield replaced because it rusted away and caused the shield to start vibrating.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks - yes, I get that too in Chicago - the sludge is the worst ! I'll definitely get the "Bottom Blast" the next time !!