Check Fuel Cap message

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Fuel Cap message

This appeared on my 2006 HCH II after the second tank of gas. I'm into the third tank with the "Check Fuel Cap" message still there. The car goes in on this Wednesday to see what's up! I'll keep you updated on the results.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

JJanney- I had the same message appear and holding the sel/Reset button doesnt clear it from showing as it says in the book. But when I tried clearing it....the next time I re-started the car it went away. Seems like a stupid sensor. what a pain

Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCH_2
This appeared on my 2006 HCH II after the second tank of gas. I'm into the third tank with the "Check Fuel Cap" message still there. The car goes in on this Wednesday to see what's up! I'll keep you updated on the results.

The next time you are stopped, and the engine is off, keys out of the ignition, open the fuel filler door.

Remove the gas cap completely. Let sit for 1 minute. Close the cap to 3 or more clicks. Close the fuel filler door. Restart the car. It may not have gone away however it should reset within 3 days or so.

Michael

Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

mickster - Thanks - just gave it a try and we'll see! Too bad Honda service is not this helpful ;-)

Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

This started happening to me as well a few days ago.

I called the dealer and they said that Honda just posted a service advisory about this problem.

If the message keeps appearing every time you start the car, then the system has stored a code indicating a leak in the system from the cap. It takes 40 ignition cycles (starting the car, driving it until the engine warms up, turning it off) for the message to go away. Alternately, the dealer can manually reset it using their diagnostic equipment.

He suggested that I book an appointment for two weeks from now and cancel it if the message stops appearing.

However, this doesn't answer why it is happening in the first place and whether it will return periodically.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Found it:

Copied from November 2005 Honda Service News

NOTE: This article applies to ’05–06 Accords,’06 Civics, ’05–06 CR-Vs, ’05–06 Elements,
’05–06 Odysseys, ’05–06 Pilots, ’06 Ridgelines,and ’06 S2000s.

If a vehicle’s fuel fill cap is loose or missing, and the ECM/PCM detects an EVAP system leak whenit runs the EVAP monitor, the CHECK FUEL CAP message appears on the information display whenthe engine is started. (On ’06 Odyssey Touring models and future Honda models, it’s the TIGHTEN FUEL CAP message.) A temporary DTC is also stored in the ECM/PCM’s memory. If this happens, there’s really no need for the owner to bring the vehicle in for service. All he or she has to do is shut off the engine and make sure the fuel fill cap is in place and it’s properly tightened (it’s one or three clicks, depending on what’s written on the cap). Although the owner can cycle the message from the display with the reset button (the actual button name varies by model), the temporary DTC that’s setting the message is still there. This means the message never really goes away. It can be cycled back with the reset button, and it comes on again if the ignition switch is cycled or the engine is restarted. This message keeps coming back until the EVAP monitor runs again and it finds no EVAP system leak. This could take several days, even weeks, depending on how often the
vehicle is driven. If, when the next EVAP monitor runs, the cap wasn’t tightened or there’s another EVAP system leak detected, the MIL comes on and the message
goes off. A permanent DTC is now stored in the ECM/PCM’s memory. If the owner now tightens the cap, the MIL should go off after the next EVAP monitor run, yet, this could still take days or weeks. If the MIL is still on after that monitor run, then it’s time to bring the vehicle in for service. If the vehicle comes into your shop with the fuel cap message or the MIL on, make sure the fuel fill cap is in place and properly tightened. Record the DTC, then clear it with the HDS, and run the EVAP system function test. If there’s still a problem, press on with normal troubleshooting.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Well - I was scheduled to visit Honda service tomorrow. And the message cleared today - approximately 35 ignition cycles (from johnmatt4nr's response and almost 3 days after I followed mickster's response). So - as I mentioned before - thanks for all of the great advice - this forum is more responsive than Honda service!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

My message stopped appearing this morning after about 10 ignition cycles. Hope it doesn't come back.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Mine finally disappeared with about two gallons left in the tank...Hasn't come back yet.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just make sure you hear at least 3 clicks when putting on the cap... and you will not get this again.