Consumer Reports reviewed the 2006 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Consumer Reports reviewed the 2006 HCH

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Razorx

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
But that's much different because every single FE result achieved in the car is 100% "correct". But it can yield vastly different FEs depending on how it's driven. The issue here was whether or not CR drives their cars in a consistent manner, and it seems like they do since the FEs of two cars, which should get similar mileage, actually did. It's not an issue of being consistent with expectations, it's an issue of being consistent. You're using a different definition of the word 'consistent'.
The term "should" should not be used. They are different vehicles with different engines/IMAs. It is reasonable to expect similar results but "should" is a judgement call before the test has occurred. Pre-judgements are to be avoided since results are often skewed from such either directly or more often indirectly.

Achieving results that are similar does not prove consistency in how the test was executed. For example(assume): HCH I was tested on a 50 degree day, HCH II was tested on a 80 degree day with different drivers. The driver for the HCH II wore a heavier shoe and tended to apply more gas (ever so slightly). The FEs based on these factors offset each other yielding similar results for both vehicles however, it is not a sign of consistent testing methodology.

Uh, no. At best it is actual genuine consistency. At worst it is a fluke or a lie. I do not think CR lies, do you? And I think it's odd to attribute realistic results to mere coincidence ("a fluke"), in this situation.
It is not a question of CR lying, it is an issue of reviewing their testing methodology and determining the rigor used to insure consistency. I would expect that they are very careful, but since I have not seen their methodology, I do not assume "consistency" from results. Statistics without a full understanding of the assumptions are of no value. Actually, when a full understanding occurs around the assumptions used to derive statistics, most statistics end up being relatively meaningless. It makes something for the news to talk about though and also justifies grants...

What? That makes no sense! The ratio of city/highway driving is entirely up to the driver, not the car.
Not referring to "driving" but the mpg ratios in accordance with their testing. For example: 47/26 as H/C and comparing that ratio to HCH II. "Driving" I assume you to mean in miles.

The first statement is inaccurate but not incorrect. CR did get 47 mpg driving probably 60-65 mph on the highway, as do many people here. But of course that doesn't mean everyone will.
For CR it was accurate, an assertion that it is applicable to someone else is not.

The second statement is, of course, perfectly accurate.
Mais oui!

As a side note, it is strange letting cars pass me driving the hybrid while I am trying to work on my FE. No cars pass me in my S2000 unless a lane is backed up.

Driving in the right lanes most of the time! THAT is most weird as well.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure of CRs testing measures, but when I test drove my first HCH, I was getting excellent mileage even before I learned some of the techniques here. I'm still amazed at the low numbers some of the different magazines get when they test drive them.