Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Desperately Seeking in LA: Independent Hybrid friendly Mechanic (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/desperately-seeking-la-independent-hybrid-friendly-mechanic-19184/)

burningstar 07-21-2008 11:10 AM

Desperately Seeking in LA: Independent Hybrid friendly Mechanic

Does anyone have a recommendation for a LOS ANGELES (I'm in the Northeast part, but flexible) INDEPENDENT AUTO Mechanic?

My local Honda Dealer is quoting me $350 for B123, which is just too high for me. I can't do any of the work myself, but I'm looking for a non-dealer referral.

I have a 2007 HOnda Civic Hybrid!:lightbulb

raidfibre 07-22-2008 06:03 AM

Re: Desperately Seeking in LA: Independent Hybrid friendly Mechanic

What's B123?

burningstar 07-22-2008 09:52 AM

B123...i don't have the manual with me right now, but basically its oil change, tire rotation, and gadget checking; plus tranny flush & fill.

No hybrid owners go to an indy mechanic? everyone goes to a dealer?:omg::zip::lightbulb:confused:

mmrmnhrm 07-22-2008 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by burningstar (Post 181939)
No hybrid owners go to an indy mechanic? everyone goes to a dealer?:omg::zip::lightbulb:confused:

I've made three trips to the dealer thus far:
- DC bus cap recall
- Steering wheel recall
- A123 service.

The dealer I went to (Marysville Honda, Marysville OH) did it for about $240, if I remember right, which covered all fluids, filters, etc, and the happiness of not having to tear the whole thing apart myself. Regular maintenance (oil, oil filter, tire rotation, and alignment) gets done either personally, or at an NTB down the street where I know the guys.

06hch2 07-22-2008 09:34 PM

yellow pages? google? word of mouth? pennysaver ad? call other dealers for better quote? bbb?

burningstar 07-28-2008 10:28 AM

I have tried Yelp and google to no avail. I didnt find anything pertaining to hybrids or civic hybrids. Thats why i came to green hybrid. It used 2b a helpful site. and of course it has people who drive hybrids. oh well.

raidfibre 07-28-2008 12:08 PM

Did you try calling mechanics or you gave up because it's not on Yelp? And what makes you think everyone here is in california?

HemiSync 08-01-2008 07:28 PM

Really any independent should be able to do those things for you. I can recommend you one here but I don't think you want to drive to Pennsylvania. As long as they understand that the vehicle has to have the proper fluids such as synthetic 0-20w oil and are not messing with the hybrid system itself they should be fine. I do those services myself and am not Honda trained or mechanically inclined.

erscolo 08-06-2008 09:14 PM

I've always gone to the dealer, which has been easy since all oil changes were covered for two years and the only other service required in the 24,600 miles i've driven so far is the B1 service. You might try the various dealers in NE Los Angeles, and I imagine there are many, or an independent, reputable firm that works with Hondas. Most of the people here are a helpful lot, though we are spread across North America and around the world.

carbnjunkie 08-07-2008 11:15 AM

I want to know too! I know in the bay area they have luscious garage.