First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Oil Change

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Your brother is absolutely right Mike - early oil changes *DO NOT HARM* engines, and in fact is good for them - gets all the initial metal shavings out of the oil. Most times, these tiny particles are grabbed by the filter, but not all of them are.

And no car company can void any warranty for "changing oil too soon" though. You can change it every single day or every weekend if you want to.
The manual specifically states that you should not change the oil before the first service interval. Two things:

1) There must be a reason for this, I very much doubt that they would advise this otherwise. I am an engineer, when I make the technical writing people put something in the manual I always have SOME reason to have it added...

2) I am pretty sure that if damage were to be done by removing the break in oil too soon that they could void your warranty due to not following the user's manual instructions (user error).

Later,
~Droid

Old 09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Droid,

I respect your opinion. But remember the source of this instruction: The car companies, who for decades have insisted we replace our oil at 3,000 mile intervals. Do you realize how much oil has been wasted that way? My guess is billions and billions of gallons (sorry Carl Sagan.)

They do recommend that for a reason, but whatever the reason is, I don't know, and I'm intelligent and educated enough to know that they don't put something special in the factory oil to help break-in. They just don't.

Maybe they just don't want anyone messing with their "recommended oil change intervals" or maybe they advise that to help conserve oil.

But whatever the reason is, it cannot possibly fly in the face of the hundreds of thousands of mechanics who over the years have known that changing "break-in oil" to remove metal shavings is a good idea.

I can 100% guarantee you that "changing the oil too early" is not a "warranty voiding" action. There are laws to protect consumers against that sort of crap by the car companies. Any 3rd year law student could win that case for you, should it ever happen to anyone.

Do the Google research on oil changes as I have, or get a copy of the Motor Oil Bible as I have, and you will become enlightened, as have I.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Droid,

They do recommend that for a reason, but whatever the reason is, I don't know, and I'm intelligent and educated enough to know that they don't put something special in the factory oil to help break-in. They just don't.
And you source to back that up is?...................... "signed the stupid & uneducated guy who believes it is possible to have something extra to make it really a break-in oil "

On a much lighter note there is actually a site that has some people that eat, sleep, drink and whatever else motor oil is www.bobistheoilguy.com

There are quite a few members there who have an incredible amount of knowledge when it comes to oil and automotive lubricants. Once I remember my login/password overthere I'll post the question about Honda's break-in oil.

On another note there are some members at that site that have done testing on certain brands and gotten over 20,000 miles on an oil change in a dirty running V-8, not pre-smog. Personally I don't think I'd ever be able to do that, I feel bad enough about an 7,000 - 8,000 mile change.

Last edited by rigger; 09-27-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

My understanding is that Honda's break in oil has a significant amount of moly in it. This would condition the metal parts and help to protect them long after the initial oil has been drained and refilled if it is allowed to achieve a good coat on all the metal parts.

This is my understanding from what I have been told by others. Although if you look at the oil analysis that GreenAndBlue did on his Accord Hybrid break in oil at 3,700 mi this seems to hint that it might be true due to the high levels of Molybdenum in the oil (moly is short for Molybdenum Disulfide). The value is 524 (ppm?) where the "average" value is 81.

This may or may not be true, if anyone with specific knowledge of Honda break in oil can set us straight please feel free.

~Droid

Old 09-27-2005, 01:59 PM

I agree with droidicus. The oil fromt he factory is different for a good reason. After the 1st oil change interval, do whatever you want (meaning you can do more changes in any given interval, just don't do fewer than recommended.)

Old 09-27-2005, 04:19 PM

http://www.startribune.com/stories/432/5181277.html

and another:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...icle=1442&pf=1

Here are pages which say Honda, along with other car makers, *DO INDEED* have some sort of "additive package designed to help the engine break in cleanly for long service life."

I'm still questioning that, and I will do more checking....If leaving the factory oil in there is so important, why do they not just come out and tell us in the manual the real reasons why (extra additives, etc.) instead of just packaging it just as they do rest of the manual recommendations?

<alt.confused.oil.expert>

Old 09-27-2005, 04:30 PM

I have found another source which says that high levels of moly in oil merely "speed up the break-in process" and do not per se IMPROVE anything, just help the rings seat faster.

I know for a fact that Synthetic oils do "delay" the break-in process, so this makes sense to me so far.

Still looking !!

Old 09-27-2005, 05:33 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

That was good reading, Thanks.

It took me quite a bit to believe that there was something extra in the factory break-in oil too. I've always been a die-hard of frequent oil changes. In the late 80's my father swore by Amsoil which said that you only needed to change the filter at recommended intervals. That was the beginning of my transformation to The Dark Oil Side.

Nowadays, I don't doubt for a minute they could have a special "break-in oil". Heck, I've even heard of these cars with giant batteries and electric motors that help the gas engine to better the fuel economy. When I told people that a few years ago they laughed at me.

I could believe the high levels of moly speeding up the break-in process and generally loosen up (seat the rings as you said lars-ss) the engine essentially making it more economical. I "think" this would explain the mileage jump so many people see with their first oil change too.

As far a Honda voiding anything for too soon of an oil change, I don't doubt much anymore.