First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: First Oil Change

Originally Posted by moosh
Has anyone taken their HCH to a typical oil change shop? Or does the dealership have to do it? Also, has anyone taken their own oil to an oil change shop? Is this even allowed? How many quarts should I buy?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

I'd like to get my oil change ASAP with the Pennzoil Platinum for Hybrids 0W20! I just need to get the car first.

Definitely dealer-only here:

Their prices are lower than the oil-change chop shops in the area, and they have the Honda "Express Lube" thing there so you can (in theory) be in and out in a half hour (tho I usually just leave the car in the morning, pick it up again at nite - gives them a chance to run it through the wash, too.)

Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Technically it's just called Pennzoil Platinum 0W20; the website someone linked to added the "for hybrids" bit.

[/font]So you deliberately avoided Honda's 0W20? Do you consider it low-quality? And I'd heard 5W20 is equivalent to 0W20 when the engine's warmed up. Is that wrong?
I wouldn't say it's bad oil. In fact, I believe it's good oil but I have not checked the API rating for Honda Oil. I also wanted the extra viscosity during the early miles of break in for added protection when cold.

I will check who produces this for us. It's a very good question.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I found a better "thing-ma-bob" or clip for the engine shield that I thought would be useful for others. I used it last night when I changed the oil and of course broke one of the Honda clips. It is basically the same size except that the "washer" part is not as wide. I added a thin flat washer and it worked fine. What makes this clip better IMHO is that instead of a push pin it has a plastic screw. It is sooooo much easier to get off and on. A company called GENO Industrial Products out of Montreal, Canada makes them. The product code is 9-17439. I have to admit, I could not find a web site for them. They were about a dollar cheaper than the Honda clips.

Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

I found a better fitting clip for your engine shield on Ebay. They appear to be a better fit than the ones I had posted previously. These seem to be an exact fit accorking to their specifications. It has a buy-it-now price of about $13.00 plus shipping and has about 10 lots of this item left. There are 15 clips per lot. Still about half the price of the Honda clips and these are a screw insert. I have no connection to this company/individual.

I hope others find this useful - ebay item 8025739432

Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast

hi bill,
i just heard back from the factory tech line in torrance. they explain honda oil & coolant are actually from mobil. the oil is a blend not available to the public aside from honda/ acura dealers. next time i get a chance i'll take a look at it's api rating.
david