Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   HCH and Hills? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/hch-hills-754/)

Elphaba 08-03-2004 08:24 AM

I am planning on getting a HCH this weekend, but I just read in the other forum, that someone is having problems getting up hills with their Hybrid. I am curious what HCH owners think.. Is it an issue?

Thank you in advance! :rolleyes:

ericbecky 08-03-2004 09:41 AM

Elphaba,
First, welcome to the forum and good luck on your purchase.

In the end the author said

I have the car now and can safely say I was worried about nothing.

*SNIP***....

During my wait I did some extensive research and came up with the following based on wheel diameter, electric motor torque and gear ratios....

Max Forward grade from a dead stop = 46% (that's 46 rise over 100 length)
Max Reverse grade from dead stop = 40%
My driveway (only 24%, yet it still feels steep)

For the most part, it didn't sound like there was a problem.

Still, it would be good if others could weigh in on this.

Hot_Georgia_2004 08-03-2004 02:49 PM

Elphaba,
I can tell you that my HCH has zero issures going up hill even with my family of 5 loaded near the weight limit with luggage.

Elphaba 08-03-2004 04:15 PM

Hot Georgia 2004:
Thank you for the info. It's what I wanted to hear...
:wub:

mrkcohen 08-03-2004 08:27 PM

Elphaba:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

I regularly take the western approach over Mt Greylock (3491 ft) in NW Mass at 55MPH. It's about 3 miles of S-turns at a pretty steep gade. I figure I'm going to get lousy mileage anyway, so I just drop it down into fourth and go for it. By the time I get to the top I usually have the batteries about 80% drained and my average mileage has dropped 4-8 tenths. But hey, that's what they make downhill for, right? And I love passing the SUV's on the way up.

Good luck. You're gonna love it.

MC
'03 HCH 5spd