Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl
Default Re: Headlight Question

A slightly different subject, dealing with headlights.

Has anybody with an 06 HCH had the headlights pointed nearly at the ground when receiving the car? The dealer said they had not come across this, but this was thier 2nd 06 to come in. I did some research to find the "proper" alignment. At 25 ft they were off by more than a foot. I made the adjustments after the dealer service person showed me how to adjust them, and now I can see again.

I understand the importance of not too high, but originally these were so low that I could see maybe 50 ft in front of me...and that was it. Sort of scarry when there are deer all over the place. The first night of driving with it I had the high beams on all the time, and was only flashed once!

Both were at the same low level, so it wasn't something like one was high and one was low.

This was the only flaw found in the car. Everything else is going great after 1500 miles.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by 06 HCH in Georgetown TX
A slightly different subject, dealing with headlights.

Has anybody with an 06 HCH had the headlights pointed nearly at the ground when receiving the car? The dealer said they had not come across this, but this was thier 2nd 06 to come in. I did some research to find the "proper" alignment. At 25 ft they were off by more than a foot. I made the adjustments after the dealer service person showed me how to adjust them, and now I can see again.

Umm.... isn't the proper alignment of the headlights part of the state inspection when the car is delivered?

Old 12-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some states don't have a mandatory state vehicle inspection. You should see some of these junkers that are on the Arizona highways...

Old 12-31-2005, 10:49 AM
World's First Hybrid

Well, last night I tried out the new silverstar lights and they have a nice white light. They give the car a nice clean look from the front. The jury is still out on whether or not I can see further down the road, but my initial verdict is yes. Maybe because the whiter light illuminates shiney objects better, who knows....

I'm not too worried about having one or even both fail at the same time because I still have the two high beams left until I get home. (I saved the old bulbs just in case I need a quick fix.)

My preventive maintenence plan for years has always been to change the low beam headlights every Sept/Oct when the wx is still nice. This almost guarantees that I won't be changing one during the dead of winter, (Murphy's Law #425) . I use the lights a lot in the daytime/rain/snow and especially in summer on shady roads so people see me better. Only expect about 1 yr life out of them anyway. Cheap insurance.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:28 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Headlight Question

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Well, last night I tried out the new silverstar lights and they have a nice white light. They give the car a nice clean look from the front. The jury is still out on whether or not I can see further down the road, but my initial verdict is yes. Maybe because the whiter light illuminates shiney objects better, who knows....

I'm not too worried about having one or even both fail at the same time because I still have the two high beams left until I get home. (I saved the old bulbs just in case I need a quick fix.)

My preventive maintenence plan for years has always been to change the low beam headlights every Sept/Oct when the wx is still nice. This almost guarantees that I won't be changing one during the dead of winter, (Murphy's Law #425) . I use the lights a lot in the daytime/rain/snow and especially in summer on shady roads so people see me better. Only expect about 1 yr life out of them anyway. Cheap insurance.
Hey Ralph; Great/Excellent report on that 1st evenings events with your New Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs.

As you said in your Post, as added insurance you kept the old bulbs in case you need to stick one in and also you are going to change the Silverstars out once a year. Sounds like you have this down-pat to me.

Are you reading this Post, Keith?bar10dah? Stop being so Hard Headed and spend that $37.00 Dollars and get some real lights.

I just Love those Silverstars:

Terry

BTW: Great update

Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
Umm.... isn't the proper alignment of the headlights part of the state inspection when the car is delivered?
Yea, you would think so. At the dealership they said something like "if the lights shine on the wall in the right 'area', then they are happy. I am not sure how far back they were from thier right area...but not far enough

I think they test more to verify they actually turn on than if they are aimed correctly.

Regards,

Bob

Old 05-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog

RalphDog...you're right. I like the Silverstars bright clean light. I installed mine at the end of December and one has gone out already. I hate driving a one-eyed car, so I got it replaced right away. I hate spending $20 / bulb every few months, though... I wonder if the manufacturer has gotten complaints about longevity. I'm not trying to be cheap, but replacing headlight bulbs as often as i change oil (an exaggeration) is pushing it!!!

Anyone else tried the 'enhanced' bulbs?

Old 05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Lansing,
So far my lights are still going strong. I put them in on Jan 1 so its been almost 5 months. They do have a shorter lifespan than the std halogens per the Sylvania spec sheet. Sylvania also makes a long life halogen that supposedly lasts about 3 years but I haven't found any at the local parts store.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Ralph...

I got lucky. The light that went out was on the passenger side. I'm not sure if you ran into this, but the part shop guy was nice enough to help me out with the first set. He ended up taking the battery out to install the drivers' side Silverstar. Did you guys have to do the same or am I doing it the hard way?

I tell ya, I am no Mr. Goodwrench...

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 05-19-2006, 05:21 AM
World's First Hybrid

The driver's side low beam was a bit difficult on the 05HCH but the owner's manual said to remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir neck to gain access. It was tight with my big paws but I managed to change it ok. I haven't changed the high beam bulbs yet but for that, it looks like I'll have to move the battery out of the way.

Quick Reply: Headlight Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands