Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Help finding module (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/help-finding-module-30818/)

GrnrGrl 06-11-2016 08:33 AM

Help finding module

My 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid stopped charging last fall. Found a local auto repair shop that has a certified hybrid repair tech. I was in no hurry to get it repaired (having surgeries, not driving much, second car etc) and they were willing to work with me on a delayed time frame. Over the winter they determined the problem was not the hybrid battery but one of the two modules that work like an alternator. I do not have the exact part #, but the shop is having trouble locating it in the secondary market, as they say there are no new ones being made. I trust them, and have heard of hybrid owners having this issue. Not sure who their sources are. Questions: 1) is this a common problem with the older cars? 2) anyone have suggestions for more vendors/sources, 3) if they can't get the part, then what!?! Sell my otherwise good car for parts? I was hoping to use this and the second car to upgrade to one newer vehicle. Don't need two anymore. Help!

S Keith 06-14-2016 06:58 AM

Re: Help finding module

MCM and BCM failures are FAR LESS COMMON than battery failures. MCM and BCM units are readily available from salvage yards.

It sounds like they may have diagnosed your DC-DC converter as bad. Again... DC-DC converters are FAR LESS COMMON than battery failures; however, they should be readily available from salvage yards.

GrnrGrl 06-17-2016 10:37 AM

Re: Help finding module

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 259949)
MCM and BCM failures are FAR LESS COMMON than battery failures. MCM and BCM units are readily available from salvage yards.

It sounds like they may have diagnosed your DC-DC converter as bad. Again... DC-DC converters are FAR LESS COMMON than battery failures; however, they should be readily available from salvage yards.

Thank you. Will check with the tech to make sure exactly which part it is, and that they are checking salvage yards.