Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   HELP - My car randomly will NOT start (04 Civic Hybrid) (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/help-my-car-randomly-will-not-start-04-civic-hybrid-20064/)

read2me 10-14-2008 07:02 PM

HELP - My car randomly will NOT start (04 Civic Hybrid)

My car will simply not start at random times. The lights on the dash and all come on fine, but the engine is completely SILENT. After turning the key on and off 7-8 times the engine will just turn over as if there was never a problem.

Then the car will turn on fine for a couple weeks and just today I went out to the store and when I got back in the car it would not start. After about 10 tries, it just started right up.

The engine does not make a sound when it won't start, no trying to turn over or cranking noise. Just silence then it suddenly starts right up.

kenkobra 10-15-2008 07:29 PM

Re: HELP - My car randomly will NOT start (04 Civic Hybrid)

Originally Posted by read2me (Post 189212)
My car will simply not start at random times. The lights on the dash and all come on fine, but the engine is completely SILENT. After turning the key on and off 7-8 times the engine will just turn over as if there was never a problem.

Then the car will turn on fine for a couple weeks and just today I went out to the store and when I got back in the car it would not start. After about 10 tries, it just started right up.

The engine does not make a sound when it won't start, no trying to turn over or cranking noise. Just silence then it suddenly starts right up.

Sounds like you have a bad ignition switch or a bad neutral switch. When this happens again try put the car in neutral and wiggle it. See if this fixes the problem. If it does have the dealer check and see if the neutral switch needs to be replaced or is out of alignment. As for the ignition switch, I had one go bad on my Honda and it was about $280.00 to fix the problem.