Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Razorx
Default Re: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Review of the Honda iPod Music Link

I found this review of the iPod Link for Honda. I've got a 3rd Gen iPod so it looks like the connector and software won't work for me. Based on the information in the review, it sounds like a clunky way to implement the link.

Hope this helps.
This is one of the best "reviews" of anything that I have read. Sealed the deal for me.

I can't help wondering though... Two key reasons why I purchased this car was XM-Ready and direct iPod hookup of which, one is a huge expense and invasive install that blind-sided me after purchase, the other is non-usable. I want my Navi screen to show an iPod GUI interface. Anything less is unacceptable.

Wish there was some type of recourse here, but this falls under buyer beware. This is more than a minor annoyance, but love the car anyways.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Originally Posted by jlambeth
This is one of the best "reviews" of anything that I have read. Sealed the deal for me.
Same here -- I was going to buy an iPod, replacing my iAudio M3/20g player just for the iLink, but now I think I'll stick with my iAudio and the Aux jack (when I'm not listening to my XM-Roadie 2.

Let's hope that Honda responds to customers like the guy that did the review and designs a better solution. I think Apple should slap 'em silly!

Don

Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 AM

Apple is the one that designed the Music Link, not Honda.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Like I said -- Apple should slap 'em silly.

Don

Old 01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

I'm considering the ipod upgrade and bass system for my 06 Civic Hybird but don't want to pay the high cost of dealer and don't feel up to a self-install. Anyone used a good installer in LA area they would recommend?

Thx,
Scott

Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Apple is the one that designed the Music Link, not Honda.
I'm not so sure of this... Seeing as the head unit is an Alpine model, it is possible that Alpine made the interface with Honda contracting the TTS software to ZappTek. Knowing Apple's recent track record, I strongly doubt that they would make a product like this. They will back any vehicle vendor's efforts at iPod integration as it simply helps to sell more iPods, but I don't think Apple would make this.

I have to say, that while it doesn't work well, the Honda Music Link does seem to qualify as a rather interesting hack. It's the sort of thing that would be impressive if an individual came up with it, but not something for sale by a fairly well respected vehicle manufacturer.

Oh, and hi, I'm Steve, the person who wrote the review which has been discussed a few times in this thread. I saw the referrers in some logs, so I thought I'd drop by and say hello. First, thanks for the kind words about the review. I'm hoping that it serves to show people my experiences with the kit so that they can decide if it's right for them or not.

Secondly, I should probably add a second video there of the music link working properly. After I wiped my iPod clean, added ~1.1GB of music, and allowed TTS to (slowly) do it's thing, then it worked right. It was still clunky and a general pain to use, but it did work as designed. (Please note, that's not saying much.)

Over the last week I've been pretty busy making a more proper iPod hookup. There are a series of photos of the second adapter I ended up building here, with a picture of the completed device with my old iPod in it here. It works as designed and solidly holds the iPod and allows the music to simply play. I must suggest that if you want a similar device, just look at what I made and do something similar. I'll be happy to answer any questions about how it was made, if you have them...

Oh, there will be some more photos added there within the next few days, as I picked up a new, black iPod and should be able to get some better lit photos out in daylight. (It was night time when I was finished with the installation.)

Anyway, thanks for reading the review, and I'm glad to hear that it's been useful...

Take care...

-Steve

Old 01-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sskeeter
I'm considering the ipod upgrade and bass system for my 06 Civic Hybird but don't want to pay the high cost of dealer and don't feel up to a self-install. Anyone used a good installer in LA area they would recommend?

Thx,
Scott
Just FYI, it's a pretty easy install. The only thing to be sure of is that the Music Link Interface Box is positioned far enough behind the tube running through the dash that the glove box can close. If you align a narrow side of the box with the tube, then orient the box so it is parallel with the ground and on the side of the tube away from the passenger compartment, it's pretty easy. (Look at this photo then pivot the adapter up a bit more. It's easy to tell if the glove box rubs... It just doesn't work right then.

Oh, and the dash comes apart quite easily... Just be certain to apply masking tape where it says to, as pulling the trim around the instrument cluster could easily scratch the panel around the audio system.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman
Let's hope that Honda responds to customers like the guy that did the review and designs a better solution.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from Honda yet... I've received no response to the fax which was sent, nor have I heard anything from Apple's PR people.

When I visited the North American International Auto Show this year (I live near Detroit and get free tickets because I work in the auto industry) Honda was completely lacking for any sort of iPod tie-in, which I found interesting. I did happen to run into the sales person who sold the vehicle to me so I provided him with a printed copy of the article (yes, it was in my pocket) but I haven't heard anything back from there either.

It seems like right now Honda is being pretty quiet about the part, but we'll see where it goes. As of today a Google search for 'honda music link' returns my site as second, even above anything from Honda itself.

So, we'll see where it goes, I guess... For now I'm just being happy that I have a usable iPod connection / mount and have moved on to a new (albeit somewhat related) project.

-Steve

UPDATE: If you'd like to help this article get some more notice and you are someone who uses digg, please be sure to visit my digg submission regarding the Honda Music Link and digg it. If enough people digg that it gets on the front page, then it should really get some traffic.

Last edited by c0nsumer; 01-24-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Updating with digg link...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sskeeter

Thx,
Scott
Make sure you watch the video from the review before you purchase the Link. It's pretty clunky the way it works.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Razorx

Originally Posted by c0nsumer
I have to say, that while it doesn't work well, the Honda Music Link does seem to qualify as a rather interesting hack. It's the sort of thing that would be impressive if an individual came up with it, but not something for sale by a fairly well respected vehicle manufacturer.
That is precisely what it is! A marketing oversight on required functionality that left only a hack as an option to fill that gap.

Of course, Apple/Honda will stay "mum" about it. Can't admit to the problem otherwise it might open a door to recourse.

Again, awesome review (well balanced).

Quick Reply: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands