HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

I just use ramps when I change oil! Once the oil is draining into my plastic bucket I carefully lift the shield and bucket up to the closed possition and prop it with a block. Let it down in 30 min. and button her up and complete the job.
Cheers,H

Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Yeah, I know, that's a bit more stable too: you still have 2 wheels on the ground. I just prefer the extra room a 4 wheel lift affords. It is really handy for tire rotations as well.

My new jackstands have plenty of range. They will not need to be extended far, which is good I think: fully extended jackstands are closer to their stability limits. Plus the new jackstands have nice wide bases. They're "6 ton" and have range around 16"-24". I also plan to roll our 4 summer tires under there (2 stacks of 2) to keep me company, in case of the unmentionable.

BTW, I said our MM asked for CVT fluid change just after 3 years, having a brain bubble: it was actually just after two years (46000km).

Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Yes there are times when you require more space. H

Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Went through with the CVT fluid change last weekend. My secondary motivation was to practice raising the car suffic. to flip down the engine compartment shield. I raised the car approx. 12", and found the shield had almost enough room to rotate down to vertical, had to push and bend it a bit.. Two more inches, 14" total raise, would be much better. The rocker panel bearing points about 6.5", so bottom line: a jackstand height of 20" mininum will give you good clearance. An inch or two less, and you have to push and bend some.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Hi Mendel;
What made you do another change?
Hal

Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Not sure what you mean: it's been approx a year for CVT since last change. I am figuring to one CVT fluid change per year.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM

That is just me and my 60's moments Mendel. I did not read your Oct. post close enough.
cheers Hal

Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 PM

Hey, I hardly remember the '60's. Just kidding, I do

One CVT change per year is double what our MM has asked for, so far, but I'm ok with that. I think the interval is too long, it doesn't hurt to go to yearly (though the fluid is expensive), and I think it makes more sense than this "flush" business. Just doing a single change yearly amounts to about the same thing.

Plus if I don't do it yearly the '60's might catch up with me: doing things once a year is relatively easy to remember. Every other year: not so easy. I do keep a log though, good practice.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 01-13-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default CVT Fluid change interval

The recommended CVT fluid change interval is 30,000 miles or 2 years. Anything more is at the discretion of the owner.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fanfaron
What happened to the image??? I'm planning to do my cvt oil changed and I'm coming back to this post to know how to do it and the images are gone!!!

Please can someone put back the image?

thank you
yeah, where are the pics?

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands