how high should we go? tire pressure that is...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Owner
Default Re: how high should we go? tire pressure that is...

So we should just fill to the stated max PSI on the tires? Is anyone filling above the max PSI?

Old 11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hweldon
Yes, I've seen that site. It's an outfit that sells nitrogen filling devices, so not one I would trust much for an objective assessment. From what I've read elsewhere the main advantage of nitrogen is that the larger molecules permeate less through the tire wall, resulting in less pressure loss over time. Since most people don't check and correct their pressure often enough, nitrogen protects them from driving with under inflated tires. Basically it's an expensive way of keeping your tire pressure at the right level.

Moisture inside the tire can have large effect if there is enough of it to reach condensation. Then, as the tire heats up, the condensed water evaporates increasing tire pressure more than otherwise. This could be addressed by filling the tire with dry ordinary air. Nitrogen has no advantage.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Hi Moosh:
Originally Posted by moosh
So we should just fill to the stated max PSI on the tires? Is anyone filling above the max PSI?
___Besides everything that has been posted so far, yes, I fill well beyond max sidewall in every vehicle I have owned over the last 5 years …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-28-2005, 06:41 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: how high should we go? tire pressure that is...

? So you members that have already taken delivery of your HCH ll, what is the (Max Pressure) on the "Sidewall" ?

Do all the 06 HCH ll come with the same manufactures tires on them?

Wayne; so what do think is a (Reasonable) Air-Pressure to run in the 06 HCH ll ?

Wayne; I did say (Reasonable) without a Overly Rough Ride and not to Prematurely Wear out the "Center-Of-The-Tires" from being over inflated.

Terry

Old 11-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
? So you members that have already taken delivery of your HCH ll, what is the (Max Pressure) on the "Sidewall" ?
44 PSI

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Do all the 06 HCH ll come with the same manufactures tires on them?
No, we've already seen that some have Bridgestones while others have Dunlops. 44 PSI max sidewall in both cases though.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: how high should we go? tire pressure that is...

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
44 PSI

No, we've already seen that some have Bridgestones while others have Dunlops. 44 PSI max sidewall in both cases though.
Thank-You; that's why I asked the question, I thought that I remembered reading that there was more than one tire being shipped on the HCH ll.

Terry

Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM

Hi Tigerhonaker:

___At 60 #’s, you will not wear out the center of the tread but you will have a tread/tire life as much as 25 to 100% longer lasting! Most take their tires to what NASAngineer is running right now at or around 42/40 F/R. It is a good balance for ride, comfort, and handling. It is also and one I will wholeheartedly support vs. 35 #’s or less as stated on the door sticker. We just do not have all that much the fuel to waste anymore Oil shale and Tar sands as well as the emissions to mine and process that stuff not-with-standing …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Brains of the Operation

I've got all four Dunlops in my 05 HCH filled to about 50 or so. I seriously doubt that exceeding the max sidewall rating by 6 psi is venturing into the danger zone. I bet there is a sizeable margin of safety included in that rating to cover Dunlop's butt. If a tire blows and I die a fiery death, I'll be sure to post those results on GreenHybrid ASAP so everyone can be sure to deflate their tires a wee bit.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

personally i can't take the bumpiness of 40+ psi. i just bump the recommended pressure up 5 psi (35 on the HCHI, 37 on the HCHII)

Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
I believe you probably did receive some fuel economy benefit from the increased tire pressure. Some small amount.
The test you performed was done in rainy weather, which normally reduces fuel economy. Any gain from the higher pressure was nullified by the increased rolling resistance of the wet roads.

So maybe your gas mileage would have been worse. Hard to know for sure. There are so many variables that affect fuel mileage, it's hard to measure a small difference.

My tires are inflated to the cold sidewall max rating, and the handling has improved. It is a stiff ride, but not uncomfortable. The anti-lock brakes work fine.
The car has been set up this way since the second tank of gas.

Regards,
It's funny that when I try to explain one thing, somebody assumes another. My test were to show that handling in the rain did not suffer due to increase in PSI. The rain came in and I thought, hey I might as well test this because it didn't rain for a long time before that. During the non-rain period, I had 51psi (I currently have around 48psi on all 4s... for handling not FE) on all 4. The increase in FE was not there. Everything else being equal.

Quick Reply: how high should we go? tire pressure that is...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands