IMA Discharging issues-Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Discharging issues-Help

I always thought it was due to a week cell. They think this is normal, why haven't I had these recalls. I think I may have had one a couple years ago. At least you have a case open. H

Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just thinking about my inkjet printer: it has an LCD bar graph showing the remaining ink of the eight cartridges, one bar per cartridge, with the height of the bar representing the remaining capacity. Any getting really low start to blink, to warn you pending replacement is needed.

Something like that for the IMA battery would be really nice: one bar for each cell in the battery. Likely will never happen from Honda, and I bet with the current battery impossible, ie: there just aren't test leads going to each cell, and/or it's not practical.

Also: while there does seem to a correlation between frequent recalibrations and a deteriorating battery, it's worth holding the thought that what the displays are telling you are not really the state of the battery: rather they are the car's computer's perception of the battery state. If you disconnect/reconnect your 12 volt battery the display will show totally discharged IMA battery, for the first few blocks you subsequently drive, regardless of the actual state.

In short, the computer shows total discharge whenever it's lost track of the IMA. I appreciate I'm stating the obvious, but it seems easy to lose track of this.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 06-05-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I for one would join in on a class action. I'm fine if the lawyers make out as long as Honda is forced to replace batteries at no cost to me. I would expect the lawyers would need to make an promotional investment in order to find a pool of class members.

One worry is that a lot of HCH owners may not even pay enough attention to know their car is messed up. That would make it harder to find people to join the class. We'd need more than the 10's of people that complain about it now. We know their out there and so does Honda.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

I will also join a lawsuit. My HCHII 2007 with 48k miles recharges every day, actually twice, once in the morning to work and once in the afternoon for the drive home. No IMA light and getting 35 to 40mpg, . Something is defintely wrong.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

My car also goes through 2 recals per day. Once way to work and once getting back home. I took the car in last year, but Honda says nothing is wrong and it is normal. I finally took video of the problem where it shows the exact process described in http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24097 page.

I intend to take the video tot he dealer and show it to them first. Since my car is under extended warrenty, I will ask for arbitration. I believe it is part of the warrenty clause. After that the local media who will listen.