Just Curious, Why 2006 HCH and not Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:59 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Just Curious, Why 2006 HCH and not Prius?

Originally Posted by seattlite
Hmmmm....now you got me thinking. Maybe I'll get a stock 06 HCH/NAV and get the dealer installed options(dimming rearview mirror, fog lights, etc.) in Vancouver, BC instead at my local dealer. I'll get some price quotes tomorrow.

Richard
Richard if you have read my other Post you will see that I am the Fellow that Ordered the 06 HCH ll with every factory Option Honda offers for the car. It is very Pricey then but I want the Loaded up Hch ll W/Nav. and everything else that is available so.

Terry

Old 11-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: Just Curious, Why 2006 HCH and not Prius?

1. Brand Loyalty - I already own a Civic Hybrid and don't see a reason to switch horses in the middle of the stream with my next car.

2. Price. The Prius was MUCH more expensive in this market than the Civic

3. Looks. I want something that looks like a "Normal" car, not something overly geeky looking.

4. Functionality. I want a car that cranks/drives like a "regular" car, not anything outside the usual cranking/transmission shifting sequence.

5. Quality. The Prius has had two recalls for software issues that caused the car to shut itself down while on the road (can you say "Car By Microsoft?")

6. Dealer Relationship. The Toyota dealer in Durham NC really REALLY ticked me off with their SUPER high-pressure sales tactics to the point that I stormed off the lot. The Honda store has done very well with both sales and service on the car I already have (and they're one of the largest-volume hybrid dealers in this area, so they have techs that are well-versed at working on these cars.

7. Krispy Kremes in the service waiting room.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by powerglide
Style is a big motivator for me to get the HCH, but I really wish Honda offered all the options I want like the keyless ignition, HID lights, back up camera, bluetooth......
ah, keyless ignition....

I think we're less than a year away from hackers figuring out a way to break that. It's a simple wireless connection. If they can hack into a credit card company database and steal cc numbers, would it *really* be that difficult to hack into a keyless ignition key and steal a car?

I think I'll pass on that one, myself

Old 11-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for post Terry!

Yup, I kinda agree that GM keyless ignition sucks (no offense, I own one in my Caddy). It works 'most of the time' which is totally unacceptable.

But Toyota's version they put in the new IS 350 is great and would guess prius is of similar quality.

That said, I agree its probably due for a hack-&-steal pretty soon, and I admit I mosty want it for the cool factor

HID vs Sylvania bulbs to me is not even a fair comparison.
The sylvania bulbs, IMO, just changes the color to whiter/purplier color and really doesnt do much real usable light output. (I've read quite a few articles that seem to support this, but its debatable) I had HIDs installed in my bimmer and the difference is so HUGE that it was totally worth the cost. I hope they come up with an aftermarket retrofit kit......but then again I don't want to tinker with the electronics on a new car (especially a hybrid)

If I buy a hybrid, I'm gonna go with the HCH. Right now, I'm gonna wait till I move to LA and see how bad/good my commute is.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:12 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Just Curious, Why 2006 HCH and not Prius?

Originally Posted by powerglide
Thanks for post Terry!

Yup, I kinda agree that GM keyless ignition sucks (no offense, I own one in my Caddy). It works 'most of the time' which is totally unacceptable.

But Toyota's version they put in the new IS 350 is great and would guess prius is of similar quality.

That said, I agree its probably due for a hack-&-steal pretty soon, and I admit I mosty want it for the cool factor

HID vs Sylvania bulbs to me is not even a fair comparison.
The sylvania bulbs, IMO, just changes the color to whiter/purplier color and really doesnt do much real usable light output. (I've read quite a few articles that seem to support this, but its debatable) I had HIDs installed in my bimmer and the difference is so HUGE that it was totally worth the cost. I hope they come up with an aftermarket retrofit kit......but then again I don't want to tinker with the electronics on a new car (especially a hybrid)

If I buy a hybrid, I'm gonna go with the HCH. Right now, I'm gonna wait till I move to LA and see how bad/good my commute is.
I agree with you on the HID Light thing. I just traded off a S60r Volvo and it had the HID Lights and as you say, there is (NO-COMPARISON). I do like the Silverstars better than the OEM Bulbs though.

Terry

Old 11-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Brains of the Operation

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I ordered from a dealer in Canada the Heated Outside Mirrors for my 2003 HCH...
Terry, I didn't realize you already had a HCH I. Did I miss that? Did you ditch it for that non-hybrid 05 Civic you traded in? If so, why?

Old 11-27-2005, 05:43 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Just Curious, Why 2006 HCH and not Prius?

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
Terry, I didn't realize you already had a HCH I. Did I miss that? Did you ditch it for that non-hybrid 05 Civic you traded in? If so, why?
Hi Civic Duty; Lets see now; how to not make this to drawn out. The 03 HCH that I had did not (In-My-Driving-Situation) work out. Application Problem. I drive not enough miles and could not keep the Battery Pack charged as one thing. I then traded it in on the Honda Accord Coupe W-6 Sp. Trans. Then I traded the 04 Accord Coupe 6-Sp. Car for a 05 Red Accord Coupe W-6-Sp. Trans. and loaded up with the Nav. and HFP (Honda Factory Performance) Package. Then I traded it off for a 2005 S60r Volvo that was loaded up and it was a close ratio 6 Sp. in it and all the race goodies. Then I sold it to Car Max out right and purchased a 2005 Honda Civic Special Edition Sedan W/Auto Trans. and added X/M sat. radio and Honda custom Leather Interior, Fog Lights, Half Mask, Cargo net, Custom Honda Pin Stripes and then I traded it on the Incoming 2006 HCH Loaded up as you may have read in some of my Post. Due Jan. or Feb. 2006. Thats it:

Well that was not to bad at all:

Terry

Old 11-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Brains of the Operation

Wow. I'm in awe of your car-buying prowess. You are a car buying-and-selling machine. Here's hoping the 06 HCH works out for you in the long term.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
Wow. I'm in awe of your car-buying prowess. You are a car buying-and-selling machine. Here's hoping the 06 HCH works out for you in the long term.
Great compliment, especially for a guy in the biz!

LOL...."car buying-and-selling machine"

Old 11-28-2005, 05:30 AM
Enthusiastically Active

This is my 4th Honda, so although I find the Prius very impressive, and considered it, it was hard to turn my back on my great experiences with Honda. In general, Honda's tend to be more driver oriented, while Toyota's tend to be a bit more isolated/quiet. This holds true with the Civic/Prius comparison. The HCH feels more like a driver's car, with the nicely laid out dash board, and small, tight steering wheel, and terrific handling. Overall, the Prius seems a bit more like a very sophisticated appliance to me, with the center mounted instrument panel and all..... although I do wish the civic was a hatchback like the Prius.

Quick Reply: Just Curious, Why 2006 HCH and not Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands