Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Key Fob didn't work this morning. (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/key-fob-didnt-work-morning-16754/)

noflash 01-16-2008 07:30 AM

Key Fob didn't work this morning.

It was very cold and I want to write this off as a fluke, but I will say that my heart sunk for the first time with one of my HCHIIs.

I walked out to the car and couldn't open the trunk with the fob. I tried three times. Then I tried to open the car -- nothing, then I tried the lock button -- nothing.

I opened the car with the key (like a caveman ;) ) and the car started right up. I was fearful a light had been left on overnight, but I couldn't find anything.

I drove two blocks to pick up a coworker, turned the car off, tried my fob and it worked.

I am glad things are working now, but I have an unsettling feeling know. I hate not knowing why something malfunctioned.

I'd like to write it off to the cold.

Anyone have this happen before?

The only other thing I can think off is that I have a seat heater pad plugged into the cig lighter at all times. There is no power going to it when the car is off, but I cannot guarantee it is not causing a drain.

Thanks, Ian

Harold 01-16-2008 08:19 AM

Re: Key Fob didn't work this morning.

Fob battery change time? H

noflash 01-16-2008 08:33 AM

Car will be a year old (to me) in March. Seems a bit premature, but possible.

Harold 01-16-2008 08:37 AM

Yes they do normally last longer than that. Which system started the car? H

noflash 01-16-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 158214)
Yes they do normally last longer than that. Which system started the car? H

Hmmm.... I can't remember. Seems like I REALLY noticed the one time the traditional starter cranked the car so. So, it was prob the alternator.

Harold 01-16-2008 12:53 PM

I hate it when things like that pop up! Hopefully your 12 volt bat. was low. I'm not sure if the door locks get there power from this source or not. H

spinner 01-16-2008 04:04 PM

See if it is repeatable. I want to know if it's radio interference.

How do you open the trunk with the fob? It's entirely mechanical to me...

Bobs Metallic Pearl 01-16-2008 06:13 PM

Spinner, U.S. Civics have 3 buttons on the fob, lock, unlock & trunk....are the CN cars are different there too.

Harold 01-16-2008 06:34 PM

Not on my 2006, but we do get the heated mirrors, Bob. H

gumby 01-16-2008 08:23 PM

Yes, the CN HCH2's get heated side mirrors, but no trunk-popper on the fob.

Noflash, my first thought was fob-battery getting weak. I'd get a replacement one and have it handy, for the next time it happens. Pop that new battery in, and see if the problem disappears. (There's not some kind of reset issue/procedure when changing out the battery is there? I better read up.)