Low beam on 06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low beam on 06 HCH

Here's some info I dug up too on the Sylvania North America website:

"Q) What’s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?

A) The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have a high tech amethyst blue coating to help give the whiter light appearance. The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light, making it more like the SYLVANIA (US) XtraVision product line. Both bulbs offer
greater luminance (increased brightness)."

Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by mexiken
Yeah, basically OSRAM is OSRAM Sylvania in North America. But that bothers me that the lights on the OSRAM's are better than Sylvania's if they're made by the SAME company. GGGGRRRRR. Anyway, has anyone tried to the cool blues ???? I want the BLUEST I can get, forget the brightness, the BLUEST. What does everyone recommend ????
I recommend that if you get those horrible blue bulbs, that you keep your car off the road at night

Old 03-03-2006, 10:49 AM

But blue is the COOLEST !!!! Anyway, I just want the tint of blue actually. After reading it over, I decided that I want the kind that approach the HID look. Anyone know what series of lights the 06's use ????

Old 03-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Turns out bluest and brightest go hand in hand. On the color spctrum, blue (specifically, violet) is the highest color you can visibly see. (I should have known that already). So the higher the temp of the light, the more blue it is. Which is COOL !!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

The OSRAM'S, whats their lumen output ???? And the OEM's ????
From Post #11 in this thread:

In addition, while the Sylvania Silverstars are "whiter" it's achieved by tinting the glass, which effectively cuts brightness. For the H4/9003 bulbs (used on my Element) The Sylvania Silverstars only have a light output of (High/Low-beam) 1500/910 lumens. The Osram Silverstars on the other hand, have a light output of 1700/1075 lumens. The Osrams are probably the best bulb upgrade out there, although regardless of which one you get, they will not last as long as stock bulbs.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Turns out bluest and brightest go hand in hand. On the color spctrum, blue (specifically, violet) is the highest color you can visibly see. (I should have known that already). So the higher the temp of the light, the more blue it is. Which is COOL !!!!
That's true, but the ends visible spectrum (violets and reds) are the colors that are less easily seen by the human eye. That means light at high color temperatures have to be brighter for you to see as much as you would at a daylight (aprrox 58000k) color temperature.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You're drawing improper conclusions. Yes the higher the temparature of a filament the more blue it will get. At relatively low temperatures things glow red. When they get hotter they glow white, and even hotter they glow blue. But that has nothing to do with the brightness of your headlights. If you're getting the blue by tinting the bulb blue, then you don't have a hotter or brighter bulb. You have a bulb where some of the light frequencies (the lower redder frequencies) are being filtered out - reducing the overall light output.

One more thing to consider - the atmosphere absorbs blue light more than red. The more moisture in the air (fog, mist) the more blue is absorbed. So bluish light doesn't shine as far. That's why they make fog lights yellow, not blue.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sheniferous has got it pretty much right.
Sunlight as we see it can range from 3000k on up to a pure blue sky.

When talking about putting the most useful light out on the road you always want to be in the 4-5500k temps. These are by far the best temperatures for humans to use at night. As you start getting higher than those temps you will lose visible light and in turn you will have a harder time seeing at night.

When you see the high end imports on the road at night and it looks like they have blue/purple HID's, you are seeing an effect from the projector lens from your viewing angle. If you sit in the car, you'll notice that the light is very white, and you will not see the array of colors you can see from outside the car.

Try driving a car with these "blue" coated lights in the rain, you'll be so sorry you ever wanted them, depending on their color temp they can be downright dangerous. Blue looks "cool" but it isn't very practical. That is why many of these aftermarket lights aren't DOT approved and they say "for show use only". This isn't the case w/ the silverstars or osrams, but some of the other cheaper ones aren't legal.

You will never be able to effectively mimic the look of a projector HID setup with a halogen bulb, no matter what gas is filling them(generally xenon) or what coating coating they put on them. The best thing you can do is get some Osrams, and be prepared to replace them more often than a regular bulb.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 PM
YA RLY.

I'm sorry to say that you are misinformed. Please check the following link.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html

Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

Dealer raised the low beams on 06 HCH by "one inch" he said. Drove car last night and they are better and no one passing seemed to think they were too bright. And, I may have them raised a little more. I was very happy to hear there was a fix but think Honda should have had info on issue in there interactive data base. Thank you all for being supportive.

Quick Reply: Low beam on 06 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands