my wife won't listen to me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: my wife won't listen to me...

Originally Posted by lakedude
Cool it! One does not need to own a type of car to have opinions.
Nor do they if they actually own one.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Maybe someday there will be fuel consumption gauges on regular cars
I think it should be required by law in every car. The effect it has on driving habits is so dramatic that if every car had it we'd be cured of our fuel addiction.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by ElanC
I think it (fuel consumption gauge) should be required by law in every car.
I agree!

The effect it has on driving habits is so dramatic that if every car had it we'd be cured of our fuel addiction.
Well maybe not cured, but it would certainly be a huge step in the right direction.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

It's funny reading these posts. Both my girlfriend and I purchased HCHII a couple of months ago. I haven't gone as far as hypermiling, but I will accellerate more slowly and use cruise control as much as I can. This has resulted in 50-55 mpg with weather above 60 degrees. My girlfriend would make fun of me (and even to her friends - that I drive like a grandpa). I would try to convince her every day to not accellerate like she was racing with no success.

However, after my current tank (which my guage says around 52) she changed her driving habits without me knowing. I got in her car last night and she was accellerating slowly and trying to get into "EV" mode. To my surprise she was around 53 mpg (she has a more favorable commute to work, I believe - of course I have to justify it ). Her refusal prior to now was partly "I like to zoom zoom around" and partly "Oh, I thought it would only make 1-2 mpg difference, but it made like 9 mpg difference."

Maybe your wife will just "get it" one day???

Here's to hoping...

Regards,

Dan

Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

My wife has yet to drive the new HCH2... but we just got the car last weekend and i've been using it to commute every day. She'll give it a shot this weekend. I was the lead foot of us two before, but since the HCH2 I changed a great deal. I expect she'll be just fine, if not better than I am on the FE. She truly seems interested in how it works, and how to maximize FE.

Though.. I bet i'm going to have a hard time sitting in the passenger seat ;P

Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 AM
no more oil

gang

I agree with the post about the mpg read-out. If every car had one -hybrid or not- people would strive to better mpg.....

Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

I carpool with my mother, and due to the layout of our route, she usually drives the return trip. For a while, this same lead-foot issue really aggravated the heck out of me, but what surprised me later was that the mileage was not significantly worse when she drove it. I eventually let it go, and it makes for a less stressful commute.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 PM
It is easy being green

what seemed to turn it around for my bf and i, is not the "nagging" but explaining how important and how hard i work to get the best gas milage i can. oh, and not saying anything, but having my instant readout screen on all of the time and letting him listen to the baseball game (or something else) seems to have him driving slower too.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomdavie
gang

I agree with the post about the mpg read-out. If every car had one -hybrid or not- people would strive to better mpg.....

I actually disagree with this statement. My Jeep Grand Cheroikee had an instantaneous MPG readout available on the overheard console.... I looked at it a few times and just found it too depressing so settled on seeing the outside temperature instead.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

My wife has told me that she "...doesn't have time to watch the mileage." She knows that it makes 3-5 mpg difference but steadfastly refuses to watch the acceleration and rough riding. I know she can do it, she had a tank near 35 mpg on the FEH when she said she was "in a rush" and it went down to 32.

Sometimes I wonder how much "in a rush" costs her in gas, and how many hours extra she has to work to pay for it.

::sighs::

Quick Reply: my wife won't listen to me...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands