To NAV or not to NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: To NAV or not to NAV?

There's no 3D mode, but honestly, that's kind of gimmicky. I had the option with my PDA software and I turned it off. It was easier to look at in 2D.

The other thing I've discovered-- in Verbose mode, it says the street names!! Pronounciation is not too bad. This is a feature sorely lacked in most PDA nav programs.

Also, now that I've driven it around a bit, I can definitely say that Honda's nav system is very good at route-finding. It's on par with the best of the PDA programs I've tried. Good routing is very important, IMHO. If it can do routes that you would have taken, you'll have very little need to bother with Avoid Streets, Detours, alternate Routes, etc.

The only other minor thing I'd comment on is that there's no direct way to turn the voice prompts off. You need to go to the setup screen first, then say "volume off". It's an extra step that would be best done from the map screen. I often like to turn on navigation even though I know where I am-- I can see the distance left to travel this way and don't need to hear the prompts.

-- Frank

Old 11-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Nasagineer!

That kinda sucks that it doesn't do any of those things.....my moms 5 year old Toyota Previa had a nav that could do all those things....I wonder if it can be 'hacked'.

I get the feeling they detune the nav systems for US versions. Somehow they turn off certain advanced features. (I read that about the Toyota Navs)

Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ftlum
There's no 3D mode, but honestly, that's kind of gimmicky. I had the option with my PDA software and I turned it off. It was easier to look at in 2D.

The other thing I've discovered-- in Verbose mode, it says the street names!! Pronounciation is not too bad. This is a feature sorely lacked in most PDA nav programs.

Also, now that I've driven it around a bit, I can definitely say that Honda's nav system is very good at route-finding. It's on par with the best of the PDA programs I've tried. Good routing is very important, IMHO. If it can do routes that you would have taken, you'll have very little need to bother with Avoid Streets, Detours, alternate Routes, etc.

The only other minor thing I'd comment on is that there's no direct way to turn the voice prompts off. You need to go to the setup screen first, then say "volume off". It's an extra step that would be best done from the map screen. I often like to turn on navigation even though I know where I am-- I can see the distance left to travel this way and don't need to hear the prompts.

-- Frank

I really like the 3D mode in my PDA (navman) at night its almost like artificial window!

But route computing is the most important by far, thats where my PDA falls short.....either way the cool factor is VERY high! Its a must have for me

Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The database is really good too. It even found the closest Radio Shack for me!

Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by powerglide
Does the Nav have a 3D mode?
Well, sorta. When you plan a route, it does go into split screen right before a turn. Sometimes, it's a 3D image of the roads ahead. I haven't really been paying attention, but I believe this is only when you're on the interstate. I'll have to do some testing and get back to you.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:34 PM

PS One more freebie that come with the Nav is the memory card reader correct? Is this in CF format?
To be more precise, the it's a PCMCIA slot, so you'll also need something like the SanDisk 6-in-1 adapter.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
To be more precise, the it's a PCMCIA slot, so you'll also need something like the SanDisk 6-in-1 adapter.
For real? Thats not very useful is it?

What do you think Hondas thinking on this is?

Old 11-23-2005, 01:54 PM

For real? Thats not very useful is it?

What do you think Hondas thinking on this is?
It makes the slot very flexible. The SanDisk adapter supports SD, MultiMediaCard, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, and Memory Stick PRO cards, so I assume that means you can use any of those, but I don't know for sure.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer

All easy ones though!
How about "can one program the nav while moving"? I ask because my current car which has nav allows it, and I'm considering trading it in on a civic with Nav.

(Note that I can't drive and program the nav at the same time, but often my wife is in the car with me, so she does it ).

Lucien

Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by lwdupont
How about "can one program the nav while moving"? I ask because my current car which has nav allows it, and I'm considering trading it in on a civic with Nav.

(Note that I can't drive and program the nav at the same time, but often my wife is in the car with me, so she does it ).

Lucien
Yes, nothing is inhibited when you start moving. In fact, I do that all the time

Quick Reply: To NAV or not to NAV?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands