Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

Originally Posted by GreenTea
Hi, I have a 2007 HCHII with over 32,000 miles on the stock OEM Dunlop SP31 tires. I have a little less than 4/32 inches of tread left on the tires. Is this normal? I mentioned the service bulletin to my dealership, but they said I do not have this problem. What should I do? If I were to pay out of pocket, how much would it cost?
That wear is a little fast, but not way out of line. It varies between tire manufacturers. Our OEM Bridgestone Insignia have travelled maybe 42000 miles and are around 5/32 or slightly more. Our wear appears to be even, and we're on the original rear upper control arms. So, our wear is a bit better, but not night-and-day, and it's a different manufacturer.

Does your wear seem even, ie: no cupping or intermittent bald spots?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

I checked my tires last night. I can't see the back tires very well, but the front tires have more tread on the inside and close to bald on the outside rim of the tires. I made a bad guess yesterday. I checked my car, and it has 33,532 miles. I went to my local Costco Tire Center and asked about tires and they used a gauge on the middle part of all four tires and gave me the 4/32nd number.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I find our tires have tread a little lower on the inside, but not much. It could be your rear camber is too much on the neg. side. The spec is slightly neg. But if it goes too far beyond spec you would see balding on the inside. FYI, rear camber spec. is:

-1 deg 39 min

with tolerances:

+ 1 deg 5 min

- 0 deg 45 min

Which means (I think) anything from:

- 2 deg 24 min

to:

- 0 deg 35 min

is within spec

I think it would take an alignment place to check this properly. Still, I think with a level, tape measure and calculator with trig functions you might take a crack at it.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 11-19-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice, I don't know where to go to get an alignment check, but I will eventually figure it out.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

I say we should take Honda Motor company to court. File a Class Action Lawsuit!
My Brother and I each bought new HCH's in 2007. My brother noticed a problem with the handling on his vehicle at highway speeds about a year after the purchase. He thought it was a steering problem and was afraid to drive the car anymore, so he called Honda and informed them. Honda sent a tow truck to take the car to a Honda dealership. The knuckle-head tow truck driver did not check whether the emergency hand brake was engaged and towed the car with it on. That fried the cars rear brake shoes, drums, bearings etc. Honda refused to take responsibility, first saying the tow truck was operated by a sub-contractor. Then they changed their story and insisted that the damage must have happened earlier - insinuating that my brother must have been driving with the emerg brake engaged!
My brother filed a case with small claims court and Honda finally was forced to pay. But they just covered half the expense incurred. My brother was fed up by then and did not pursue it. Later he had his tires replaced due to uneven wear. Nothing was ever mentioned about this TSB. No more Honda's for either of us. We have had it with them. I have had good experiences with Toyota before so it'll be Toyota from now on. Everyone I know, will also be given this info and advised to avoid Honda.
Some of you might wonder why my vehicle did not have the same prob's. I happen to be a sailor so I drive it very little. Just took it in for an oil change to Honda dealership and the Tech recommended alignment due to uneven tire wear! No mention of the TSB. Lucky for me I googled the problem and stumbled onto this forum. Thanks for this great thread. I will keep you guys posted about my car as I have called in today and made appointment for tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I must say I was pleasantly surprised with Honda this time! I took my vehicle in to Mississauga Honda along with the TSB. After telling me that the TSB was American and not Canadian, the service advisor accepted my car as a Canadian TSB exists for the same problem. He called me later to inform me that the parts were on order and would be in within a few days. As for the Tires, I would pay half as Honda would be prorating them. They called me when the control arms came in and I took my car in again. I found out I would have to pay $270 plus tax for my share of the tire price. I wasn’t happy that the new tires would be Dunlop’s. He told me Honda would only pay for Dunlop’s as they had low rolling resistance and were a must for the Hybrid. I had no choice but didn’t like that as I have not read good things about the Dunlop original tires. Besides, that seemed to be a high price to pay for shitty tires. Anyway, I told him to go ahead and do it and I would claim a refund from Honda. I had already filed a complaint with BBB.
After leaving the car at the dealership I called Honda Canada later in the day and they listened to me and I was given a file number and told they would let me know of their decision within 48 hrs. Note that my car has 27000 kms and I have 3 months left to complte 3 years since I purchased it.
When I went to pick up my car, BOY was I surprised! No charge for anything and I had 4 new tires! Well, THANK YOU Honda. I have no more complaint. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
I would like to add Mississauga Honda, in Ontario, Canada, to the GOOD Honda Dealer's LIST.

Last edited by jimmyf; 12-17-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Add smiles
Old 12-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

Are there any good Honda dealers in Central Illinois? The closest one to me does not want to help one lick. I don't want them to pay for new tires or even an alignment, just to replace the parts that were made wrong.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey Jimmyf sorry you had a problem, but, In my opinion, to be a good dealer, they should have just made the repair, or at worst, offered to contact Honda or the area rep...you having to contact Honda to get this adjusted moves them down the list several steps in my book, maybe slightly less than average.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast

What is the best number to try at Honda, their US Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009 or is there a better number?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
I'm looking for some feedback from people who have received the new control arms. My situation: I went to the Hoehn Honda in Carlsbad. I complained of rapid tire wear (stock tires, 34K and down to 2/32) and the roaring noise. He looked at my tires and told me that since I don't have uneven tire wear that I am not eligible for the new control arms.

I just don't know how much I should fight this. I did not find the weird diagonal wear pattern myself, so I'm not entirely surprised. I sorta want to get it done just to get it done. Even though my car may not have the symptoms of poor control arms, I realize that I do have the incorrect set so my mind is saying fix it. Even though it doesn't appear to be really broken.

How many of you guys got the new arms when your car didn't exhibit the symptoms? And what effect has the new control arms had on your car - is there better control, better tire wear, etc.?

Basically, if I am an owner of a 2007 civic, am i stupid to not fight to get this done?

Quick Reply: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands