Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   PC Card slot quest: ghost "*" files on 8gb CF (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/pc-card-slot-quest-ghost-files-8gb-cf-21072/)

jankrock 02-20-2009 01:42 PM

PC Card slot quest: ghost "*" files on 8gb CF

So I just filled an 8GB CF with 999 songs, all spread throughout 95 folders. The PC Card slot is playing/reading only the first 499 songs. I noticed that the player is also recognizing alternate versions of these 1st 499 song, indicated in a "ghost folder" (no name) each song with the prefix of "*__" before each of the songs. Basically, it seems that the player is recognizing the first 499 songs twice, totaling 999. Has anyone had this happen to them? Could this be attributed to the fact that my CF has too much memory? Should I scale back and just go with a 2 or 4 GB?

gumby 02-20-2009 08:48 PM

Re: PC Card slot quest: ghost "*" files on 8gb CF

I have an 8GB card (Kingston), and have not noticed any issues. But I'm not sure how many songs I have on it, and I'm not absolutely sure if any have played beyond the 499 mark. I'll try to take note tomorrow.

Orient Express 02-21-2009 08:32 AM

If you copied the music files to the CF card from a Macintosh, these extra files are "resource" (DS_Store) files that are normally hidden from view. They are files that contain extra info about the main data file and are used by the Mac OS. The radio that you are trying to play the music on runs a version of windows, so it treats the hidden resource files as visible files and counts them in its file list. This is why only half of the music files are recoginized.

There are 2 ways to correct this.

1. Copy the files from a PC to the CF card
2. Continue to copy the files using your Mac, but then post process to CF card using a "scrubber" program to remove the resource files. BLUEHARVEST is the one that I use to get rid of the resource files.

This should fix your problem.

Your issue has nothing to do with the size of the CF card, but rather the files that are written from your host computer.

Corrales HCH 03-05-2009 02:50 PM

Dumb Q: Is that card reader only on the HCH with Nav? What years? Thanks.

Orient Express 03-05-2009 03:15 PM

The HCH II 2006-current navigation radios all have card slots in them.

gumby 03-14-2009 11:24 AM

Checked mine out. I can definitely access songs after the 499 mark.
BTW, I use Windows.

Orient Express 03-14-2009 12:04 PM

The issue the OP notes is a MAC only issue. Windows users will not have this problem.

Bazkur 03-28-2009 06:25 AM

Good info guys, thanks. I previously had a 2006 Civic Hybrid with no nav and didn't have a card slot. Bought a 09 Civic Hybrid this week with Nav and it does. Where can I get the Card Adapater it talks about?

Orient Express 03-28-2009 08:32 AM

Try Amazon