re: Gas gauge unreliable....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Gas gauge unreliable....

While I know, and can live with, the precision issue, I'd like some predictability.

When the thing has 4 bars, I'd like to know there is a half a gallon, or 2 gallons, or 20 gallons EACH time. Especially when we know that the OSD may be 3-8 percent off.

You may not be able to predict how sloppy a hamburger is each time you get it at a fast food joint, but you should be able to predict that there is a hamburger in the bun.

How's that for a non-sequitor?

Old 06-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yesterday I had 3 bars showing. I was at 495 on the trip meter for this tank. I had been driving about 40 highway miles when I shut it off. 6 hours later I get in and I've got NO BARS and the low fuel light is on! Yikes!

I filled up at 500.1 miles, it took 11.771 gallons.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:15 AM

I bet if you took ito the highway and drove for 5 minutes you would get 3 bars again.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

not if he's got a pzev with a 11.9 gallon tank!

Wangofree- what was your mpg for that tank? Seems like from the threads here, that the tank guage is giving us some kind of a modified 'calculated' feedback based on the mileage you're currently getting, and what the tank float (?) is reading.
my last tank, the last bar went out (53mpg tank) when I was going through an area with a lot of stop lights, then came back on 2 miles later when I got back up to cruising speed (40mph/80mpg).
I still went and bought gas.

I'm currently actually trying to count (those damm little) bars as they go down and keep track of mpg & miles. I'll post the list when I'm through the tank. so far it's not linear: I got 80 miles on the 1st bar at 50mpg, 40 on the second at 55mpg etc etc.
I know my old explorer tank was uneven: the top half of the tank (as indicated on the guage) was 10+gallons, the bottom was 7. -
Tom- I don't agree that cars "always" have more tank/gas below the 'e' on guages; this one didn't - I ran out the one time I let it hit the red bar, 100 feet downhill from the gas pump. luckily it was my local service station- he just laughed and loaned me a gas tank.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:14 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I don't mind having an "estimated miles to empty" indicator (as there is on my FEH), but the gas gauge should not be that indicator. There is a lot of benefit to knowing exactly how many gallons of gas are in the tank at any point in time.

That being said, I can understand if the gauge reading is not linear. My FEH's gauge reads 3/4 after burning one gallon. But it does it consistently, whether I get 35 mpg or 18 mpg.

On my HCH, I know that the first bar after fill up is about 2 gallons (100-120 miles). After that, about 1/2 gallon per bar down to 1/4 and then who knows.

Might someone elaborate on the dangers of running out of fuel and the catalytic converter? It is differernt on a hybrid? I have a F150 that has dual tanks and I consistently run the first one out then switch to the second. Someone said that you might blow the fuel pump because it is cooled by the gas flow, but nothing about the CC.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Enthusiast

the california version has a 13.2 gal tank and the other versions have a 11.9 gal tank just so u no

Old 06-22-2005, 04:51 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by sm04chybrid
the california version has a 13.2 gal tank and the other versions have a 11.9 gal tank just so u no
You accidentally mixed that up. The California has 11.9, regular HCH is 13.2.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:58 AM

I think NY, and the northeastern states use the same tank as california. The correct thing to say is that PZEV rated civics have 11.9 gal and ULEV civics have 13.2 gal tanks.

Just look at your sticker and you will know how big your tank is.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
i fill up at 0-1 bars with the gas light on. usually when that happens, i still have 1 gallon remaining, which is plenty to get to the nearest gas station.
Do keep in mind that in-tank fuel pumps are liquid cooled with the liquid being gasoline. If you routinely run the tank to near-empty, you can wear the pump out early. The only thing I don't know is if the HCH has an in-tank pump or not. Has anyone had to pull their tank to answer the question?

Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

LOL YEA THATS WUT I MEANT LOL, cuz i got the at-pzev version. btw for every1 here that owns a hch heres the actual specs for the capacity and the meaning for the emissions stickers.

CARB Emissions Rating: ULEV/AT-PZEV*

*AT-PZEV vehicles are SULEV-rated and include zero evaporative emissions. Available in California and some northeastern states. California versions differ slightly due to emission standards.

CVT (City/Highway) (ULEV)**: 48/47
CVT (City/Highway) (AT-PZEV): 47/48
Fuel (gal., ULEV/AT-PZEV): 13.2 / 11.9

Quick Reply: re: Gas gauge unreliable....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands