Top speed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Top speed!

Originally Posted by toast64
LOL! I've got a co-worker with a lead foot who ends up behind me going into work on occasion. He sighs and says, "if you go zero miles per hour, you get infinite mpg".
Your response should be: "yes,but you ultimately get nowhere!"

Old 06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger
I had a dump truck bust my window on my '03 a month after I got it. He knew he did it and did a fake exit where he swerved back onto the interstate and I got stuck on the exit so I had to reenter the interstate. I "needed" to speed to catch him so I did it. <SNIP>
I don't know what insurance company you have, but my glass is included with my comprehensive at no charge. I have had 2 winshields replaced on two cars, one with and one without full glass. I don't feel it's ever worth it to pursue a truck in that instance-as wrong as he was-because most of those companies are either self-insured, uninsured, under-insured or lawyered up to the eyeballs. And in an HCH or HCH II, high speed just isn't the safest option. I'm not risking my life and car for a windshield.

The cost for the first $260.

The cost for the second, including 3 years of full glass insurance: $36 (It's about $6 extra per half year).

I have Geico and they have never raised rates on me and actually have lowered them in accordance with the lower value of the car and parts. I've had 1 comprehehnsive claim, 1 collision claim (with no other party), 1 glass claim in just over 3 1/2 years, plus I've been rear-ended twice, once by a Geico policyholder, and one by another company.

I get the best rates as I've taken defensive driving and my wife and I have no tickets and no chargable accidents.

Again, speeding for $36 worth of glass...not worth it at any price...

Now I can't wait to open up the hybrid on a safe straight stretch I know of here on Long Island (and it helps that a friend is a police officer and I have his card...and am his "brother-in-law" if anyone asks )

Also I've done enough track time at 130+ MPH but that's not important right now...

Old 06-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Today, I was in the fast lane of an interstate with nobody behind me and a huge gap in front of me. I easily hit 95mph. I then let off. The speed limit was 75 but traffic was moving much faster. At no time did the car feel overworked and I did not feel unsafe. With that said, I do not like to drive at such high speeds and will probably not do it again.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I agree with Mr. Kite... fastest I've ever done was just a hair under 110mph heading from Athens, OH to Baltimore, MD, at about 3am through West Virginia. I probably could have gone faster, but the CB antenna kept blowing over I have no idea how NASCAR and Indy Car racers can go that fast and keep their wits about them.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
I agree with Mr. Kite... fastest I've ever done was just a hair under 110mph heading from Athens, OH to Baltimore, MD, at about 3am through West Virginia. I probably could have gone faster, but the CB antenna kept blowing over I have no idea how NASCAR and Indy Car racers can go that fast and keep their wits about them.
Fastest drives:

131 MPH, 1995 Acura Integra LS (the low powered engine), 4AM, Summer '96, Sunrise Highway Long Island, NY (car was rock steady and great handling; warm tires and relatively new; broken in brakes)

95MPH, Rental 2000 Chevy Blazer (electronically limited) from Los Angles to Las Vegas on I-15

118MPH or 122MPH (electronically limited-although speedo registered 122) 2000 VW Beetle Turbo GLS, many times from 2000-2003

139.25 MPH top speed, 120MPH Average on numerous laps in Richard Petty Driving Experience, Las Vegas, NV; fastest lap and top speed in the class of 26 (averaged 120 MPH on fastest lap of 1.5 mile tri-oval track)

128 MPH, 2003, Acura TL Type S, a few times without even realizing it; top speed of car is 155 I believe, but no desire to drive that fast off the track at this age

Actually, on a track, it's harder and easier; things slow down at speed when you get comfortable-just like athletes talk about the plays slowing down in front of them. With cars around it is harder, but when everyone is going 180-200 or 160-180 on a lap, the differences in speed are very small (the difference between 180 and 200 is about the same as the difference between 55 MPH and 60 MPH). Of course the fact that aerodynamics and vacuums and vortexes all become a factor at those higher speeds is another issue altogether that makes it so hard......

Old 06-05-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by mickster
Fastest drives:

131 MPH, 1995 Acura Integra LS (the low powered engine), 4AM, Summer '96, Sunrise Highway Long Island, NY (car was rock steady and great handling; warm tires and relatively new; broken in brakes)
****. I had 125 on the Robert Moses bridge in my 93 Probe.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
****. I had 125 on the Robert Moses bridge in my 93 Probe.
Man with a Probe on that bridge I'd be afraid of going airborne since it had such a low Cd and great drag numbers!

THe VW was on the Ocean Parkway the first time I opened it up...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've had my HCHII hit 100MPH briefly on I5 between San Jose and LA. Did not feel as stable and comfortable as I did in my 525 though.

I do 85+ regularly on 85 in Silicon Valley.

Fastest in my life is Mach 1.5 at flt level 250 in F4-X (E) from Pt Mugu near Santa Barbara.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Casper49
Fastest in my life is Mach 1.5 at flt level 250 in F4-X (E) from Pt Mugu near Santa Barbara.
gotcha. 2.0 backseating a Tomcat D off USS Forrestal, July 1991. But being a SWO, I prefer shooting them down to riding them Less puking.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Kenny,

How funny. I rarely ever keep it BELOW 67 on the freeway....

Quick Reply: Top speed!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands