What's the fastest you've gone while in auto-stop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What's the fastest you've gone while in auto-stop?

I've gotten if up to 25mph. If you keep your car in neutral, when you let off the brake you wont get that clunk. Then wait a second and swich to Drive

kev

Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

It's not a good clunk- you are playing with fire by doing this as you could damage the CVT (since it is expecting a low rotation and it gets a high rotation). It almost felt like it could snap the CVT cable..
I sent in a comment about this when I got my survey from Honda- I think they should automatically start the engine if the speed goes past a certain threshold while in AS.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I imagine this wouldn't be an issue with a MT as you can just keep the clutch in and put it in the appropriate gear for the speed you are coasting at and let the clutch out.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I usually don't go too fast or far traveling and keep it in AS. The reason is I have to use the brake pedal. Surely it seems that I'm not yet applying the hydraulic brake, but can I be sure? I don't want to take the chance of dragging my brakes for that long.

Forced AS is another thing with me, I have no problem with it in certain situations. For example I have a mile and half of slight incline when I leave the house in the morning.
All cars are a comparative fuel PIG when warming up, and I see it for that time.

But on the way home I can force AS and coast around 30-35MPH for that last segment and drive the FCD up over 60, if it isn't there already.

-Steve

Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've gotten up in the mid-teens and it just happened to be luck at the time. It was in a "stop n go" morning rush hour and on a downhill. I try to actually get my car to AS on that road at that point when I take that route to work. It always comes back to a full stop or under 10 MPH before I end up taking my foot of the brake. I would have to agree with the rest, that getting the car moving to a higher speed and then having the ICE kick back in can't be good. I would imagine that any action that creates a noise different from the usual hybrid noise isn't good.

On another note, anyone see the You Tube video of the compressed air car??

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wick1ert
On another note, anyone see the You Tube video of the compressed air car??
That's cool, but wouldn't it be more efficient to just power your car with electricity, rather than converting electricity into compressed air? At least its a step in the right direction (away from petroleum)

Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's a good question. I would imagine that powering with electric would be better, but you can only get so far with that before needing a re-charge. Plus, compressed air in the long run may be better than battery power, but what do I know! I think it's a cool idea, but can only imagine the noise a compressor for that would create as well. How about a combo electric & compressed air car? I wonder if they would find a way to use all the friction, etc to help charge the battery & power the compressor?

Of course, according to the jetsons, we'd be flying around town by this time!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Hybrid Owner

I got stuck in a traffic jam on Wednesday and sat on Auto-Stop with the A/C, windshield wipers, headlights and stereo on for almost 20 minutes. I went from one bar short of full charge to 2 bars short of empty in that time. I wanted to see at what point would the engine kick back in to recharge, but then traffic started moving again.