When to do first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When to do first oil change

Pretty good observations. My car just hit 50% at around 4250 miles.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: When to do first oil change

My dealer told me 3,500 miles for the first oil change, 3,000 miles every time after.

The manual has NO actual time frame (I could not find a maintenance schedule!!)

HELP!!

Seems awfully generic, especially considering the 0W 20 oil and considering the built-in maintenance reminders...

Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster
My dealer told me 3,500 miles for the first oil change, 3,000 miles every time after.

The manual has NO actual time frame (I could not find a maintenance schedule!!)

HELP!!

Seems awfully generic, especially considering the 0W 20 oil and considering the built-in maintenance reminders...
The odometer display tells you when the oil change is due. Press the button several times until you see a number - for a new car it will be 100. Every 800 miles or so it will drop by 10, to 90, 80, etc. When it gets down to 10, take the car in for an oil change. (This is all in the owner's manual).

Old 05-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's what I thought. I think they are trying to rip off those who do not read the manual.

Plus it's old information. I thought it made no sense.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast

FWIW, my salesman told me that there is an optical sensor in the system. He said that a beam of light is sent through the oil to a receptor. The sensor analyzes the clarity/number of particulates in the oil to determine the acceptable oil life. I thought it was pretty cool and it sure sounded better than a straight linear/mile/rpm calculation. Salesmanship at it's best...or at it's worst?????

Old 05-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Proud owner HCHII

The same engine in all the European Union countries goes 12500 miles or 1 year whichever comes first!! That is in the Honda service schedule, it's not left to the dealer to "fantasise"?

Old 05-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast

I am going to wait until the computer tells me which should be roughly at 10,000 miles. This is what Honda says to do and that is good enough for me. Fewer oil changes are good for the environment also.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: When to do first oil change

Originally Posted by HyChi
FWIW, my salesman told me that there is an optical sensor in the system. He said that a beam of light is sent through the oil to a receptor. The sensor analyzes the clarity/number of particulates in the oil to determine the acceptable oil life. I thought it was pretty cool and it sure sounded better than a straight linear/mile/rpm calculation. Salesmanship at it's best...or at it's worst?????
Oh, my God -- that is such utter bull! I bet after work that salesman was having a beer with his co-workers and laughing his a$$ off.

Can anybody top that car saleman lie???

Old 05-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman
Oh, my God -- that is such utter bull! I bet after work that salesman was having a beer with his co-workers and laughing his a$$ off.

well.... it's not entirely out of the question. back in 2003 hitachi was working on a system described exactly like this:

" Meanwhile, Hitachi is working on an optical-based method that the company
claimed could be adapted to all types of vehicles without the need to make
any engine modifications. According to the company, the degree of oil
deterioration is measured by assessing the transmission losses of
near-infrared light."

sensors like this aren't that expensive nowadays. my dishwasher has an optical sensor that monitors the water for particulates of food to adjust the wash cycle automatically.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: When to do first oil change

Originally Posted by dshelman

I can't top the lie, but the manual does say there is a computer that reads total revolutions, mileage, duration of trips, engine time on and off and so on and calculates engine oil life.

I did see that on the dash and do understand it from other cars as well.

In spite of what the manual says, Honda's website and customer relations, the dealer insists that 3500 miles for the first and 3000 for each additional is the way to go.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Mainte...s.asp#oilfirst

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Mainte...#ofenoilchange

(you'll need to log in to see both)
I guess my dealer knows better than Honda?

Quick Reply: When to do first oil change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands