XM Radio Scam by Dealers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Default Re: XM Radio Scam by Dealers???

I think the parts are something like $300 and labor is at least $600. The process of installing integrated XM is very daunting and involves disassembling a bunch of stuff.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Energy Independence

Yep, it's that high-dollar Honda labor rate, and the fact that the new Civic should have been designed to allow the parts-install to be MUCH simpler. They should be embarrased at this oversight.
As many have said, this XM-ready (but not really) issue was hashed out on this site months and months ago.
I did certainly appreciate the new story about the shady dealership tactic.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

You know it's a sad day when GM vehicles have XM ready to be activated (and Acura for that matter) but Honda makes you pay for it in the Civic...

Economies of scale...

Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The PDF file showing the installation procedure for the XM kit was posted here and elsewhere some time agao. ALl I can say is, if anyone saw it you would think twice about having it done. You basically take the whole front of the car apart and put it back together. Not in a milion years would I want anyone to do that with my Japanese assembled vehicle.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster
HyMinded, if you want action, call the 800 number on OwnerLink at the Honda Site.
I wrote a letter today. If anything comes of it, I'll let you all know. (Not optimistic, but hey, I'm always ready for a good surprise.)

Old 05-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

Like you all, I am disappointed on Honda's handling of this; not only the "XM ready" debacle but also the incredible cost and machination to install the XM receiver.

I am an exisitng XM customer and my XM2GO works fine with both the the FM modulator and the AUX input on my HCH. If I didn't already have this hardware I certainly would opt for the new Pioneer Inno vs: having the Honda XM install. The factory install would be nice tobe sure, but the Inno has the same XM features and also allows 50 hours of XM recording and your own mp3's. It's a nice, small, personal music solution at less than half the cost of the Honda install and it can be used in other vehicles and the home as well.

Here's a link if you haven't seen it:

http://img.xmradio.com/innodemo/inde...ign=innolaunch

Dan

Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Enthusiast

I installed Sirius on my last 2 cars and it was easy. Just plug a tuner into the back of my Siruis ready deck and add an antenna. I'm not sure why they made the install so difficult on the Honda. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth. So on my new car I'll end up with a Roady type install which certianly won't look as good as a factory install. The only cool thing is that the new aftermarket units allow you to reacord what is being played and you can pause or rewind which is cool. But certainly not a must have feature.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hello everyone I'm new to this site; I have a '06 HCH in silver secured at a dealership that's due in about 2 weeks.

Being an avid XM'er (the comedy channels are the best) I'm very interested in getting this option on the car so I've been watching this thread, and related others, with great interest. This article just came out in the Washington Post so I thought I would pass it along:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052402653.html

My take: before throwing down upwards of $900 for this option will XM radio even be around a year from now? They have yet to make a profit and are having a hard time covering their costs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:01 AM

Use the MP3 auxiliary jack and power outlet. Stay away from the dealer install. One look at the PDF file on the steps of installation will scare you away long before the bill becomes an issue.

Use the Delphi Sky Fi 2 or Roadie or the other portable options with the car kit. The speakers and audio system are not good enough to make any true audio quality differences between the two general options.

If you really are concerned about XMx viability ( I'm not- they have strong financial backing with decreasing losses each year) then the way I have outlined is the way to go since it allows other plug and play options if XM folds.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 AM

BTW- after reading that article all I can see is a buying opportunity-- read the line that says they are going to be covering their expenses in the 4th quarter of this year. Thats major.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Scam by Dealers???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands