Your HCH driving technique

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I run all my vehicles at the max cold pressure molded on the sidewall.
I assume yours are Dunlops as well, and mine are rated at 51PSI Cold pressure.

About the EPA rating:
With CC locked in at 60MPH I get 45-47MPG.

I'd give your new car a few weeks, I'm sure it will improve.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:40 PM

Hi Tmrpro:

___The EPA knows about the problem and is working on a fix with longer tests to remove the pack(s) from the equation.

___As for driving techniques, I actually learned from the game gauge in our MDX of all things. After a few tens of hours in it, I transferred some of that knowledge back to the Corolla and bingo … I went from 36 - 38 mpg to low 40’s almost overnight. I only kept track by doing the math at the stations but then I learned about tire pressures and Mobil1 synthetic from the Hybrid guys over at Insightcentral and bingo, another 2 - 3 mpg’s added on top of that. Now that its warm, the Corolla should be good for almost 48 mpg on the hwy and the Insight … well, I can’t wait until we get a string of 70 degree days up here in Chicago myself as I have some catching up to do from the barely EPA estimate beating mileage I was receiving in minus 10 to 30 degree temps just a few months ago …

___Given your first few tanks, I wouldn’t worry about it that much but I would start watching these forums like a hawk for any small tid bit on techniques and such. Besides making sure your car is in high fuel economy shape, letting your game gauge teach you to drive is the number one important item for all of us at first.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Site Founder

Wayne,

How does the car know you're traveling farther with higher-pressure tires if it takes the same amount of rotations?

Old 04-13-2004, 06:56 PM

I know the question was for Wayne but may I be so bold?

The reason for the higher pressure is for a harder tire, which reduces rolling resistance.
Sort of like:
It is harder to pedal a bicycle on the soft sandy beach than on a sidewalk.
Same number of rotations, but you are sunk in the sand.
Same with walking on soft, shifty sand, or knee deep water: much better on the boardwalk.

If your bicycle tires are rated for 60lb max pressure and you only have 40,
it is harder to pedal on the soft, shifting rubber.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Site Founder

I don't see the common sense, though. If your bike tires are flat (as in too little pressure), they sink and the circumference becomes smaller.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

Well I'm satisfied I'll get better gas mileage soon and even perhaps someday see numbers that the EPA put out on my car....

....But, I'm still of the opinion that I shouldn't have to make specific considerations to be able to meet the MPG specs that the EPA has determined for my car. The EPA made their determinations by driving these vehicles based on their guidelines and procedures and that has nothing to do with the advice that has been given to me or anyone else here at this forum concerning improving our gas mileage.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:48 PM

Hi Tmrpro:

___Be thankful you aren’t driving an 04 Prius then … That magic 60 mpg in an all city environment hasn’t ever been met by anyone anywhere anyhow! That I know of anyway

___On a more serious note, you will have to change your habits to receive EPA estimates tank after tank after tank in just about anything you drive more then likely. There are always exceptions as I have received 38 in the Corolla before I knew a darn thing about driving for economy but it certainly wasn’t sustainable tank over tank. The EPA estimates were derived from an automobile on a treadmill type device (no wind drag) and driven through a very gentle cycle for the most part in 68 and again in a mid 80 degree ambient temperature IIRC. You can look up the exact test procedure over at the EPA in case I missed anything if you would like. The EPA then deducts from the mileage they received by a given percentage and this % deduction is what gives us the ability to push beyond what they say we can or cannot receive given the estimates. Most don’t even know how to calculate their actual fuel economy but simply assume they are receiving the EPA estimates from whatever they happen to be driving at the time when in fact; they are usually doing much worse.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

:unsure:
...Okay, I've bumped all of the tires up to 50 PSI.

What about fuels and motor oil? Is one brand better than another for MPG performance?

Is there anything else I can do other than driving with a constant eye on the FCD for a maximum MPG?

Although I love the idea of saving trees, I wanna save gas dollars!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 07:20 PM

i thought that was the canada system, and that the EPA system actually ran the cars on the road.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM

tmrpro:
You should see an immediate improvement on the higher pressure.

I've been getting my gas from the Sam's Wholesale club. They're usually
5-7 cents per gallon cheaper than the cheapest other typical station.
I guess Costco, etc would be the same.
I've tried different stations at various prices and in my findings, they are
all about the same.

A couple of weeks ago was my first oil change at the dealer.
They put in the "regular" stuff. (Sorry forgot the brand).
Next time I'm going to request Mobil 1 or whatever the more knowlegable folks here can suggest.

I've never been one to take the "save the earth" cause but I have an interest in saving $$$ at the pump. If the air is a little cleaner then it is fine with me.

I paid extra for my car and expect a good return. It just so happed that my HCH is loaded with so many great interactive tools that I admit getting "Sucked in" a little if you will. Be careful or you may just get the bug too.
I think you and your car are on a good path for great MPG.
Steve

Quick Reply: Your HCH driving technique

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands