Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Automakers are betting that hydrogen-fueled cars are the future - a long road awaits

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: Automakers are betting that hydrogen-fueled cars are the future - a long road awa

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
It would take an ecologically-minded Democrat president, and a Democrat House/Senate to make any real headway in E85 conversion. Right now, we have the Stupid Cowboy for another three years. He's bought and paid-for by Big Oil, and he's too dumb to understand any of that "tekknollogie that ya git from that thar book learnin'".

Personally, I think the current administration LIKES being dependant on foreign oil. That way the Stupid Cowboy has the platform to push all of his crazy money-wasting, soldier-killing, environment-wrecking agendas.
I think this forum has benefited greatly thus far from being largely apolitical. Though I may share your sentiments, I'm also aware that there are folks from both sides of the aisle here - just because some hybrid owners are environmentally conscious doesn't automatically make them liberal. Part of what makes GreenHybrid.com so great is our topical focus on the subject matter. We have one of the friendliest, I think, discussion groups on the web. Maybe this type of political baiting would be better suited to another forum?

Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Banned
Default Politics is not the Root Problem, but Excaberates it

Well before I joined www.greenhybrid.com, I've asserted the absence of a serious energy plan is not partisan politics, but the wishes of the overwhelming majority of the American public. Until gas prices are painful for an extended period of time, this will not change. Sadly a lot of damage will be done in a variety of ways. Unfortunately, politics has been part of the problem - not the solution.

The hard truth is most Americans of both parties think cheap gas will exist for years to come - denial.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Automakers are betting that hydrogen-fueled cars are the future - a long road awa

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
I think this forum has benefited greatly thus far from being largely apolitical. Though I may share your sentiments, I'm also aware that there are folks from both sides of the aisle here - just because some hybrid owners are environmentally conscious doesn't automatically make them liberal. Part of what makes GreenHybrid.com so great is our topical focus on the subject matter. We have one of the friendliest, I think, discussion groups on the web. Maybe this type of political baiting would be better suited to another forum?
You're right, of course. I do get too political sometimes. I don't mean to offend It's just been frustrating seeing this slow-moving train wreck that passes for an "energy policy", ha ha.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Brains of the Operation

It's just been frustrating seeing this slow-moving train wreck that passes for an "energy policy", ha ha.

A hearty nonpartisan amen.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Automakers are betting that hydrogen-fueled cars are the future - a long road awaits

It would take an ecologically-minded Democrat president, and a Democrat House/Senate to make any real headway in E85 conversion. Right now, we have the Stupid Cowboy for another three years. He's bought and paid-for by Big Oil, and he's too dumb to understand any of that "tekknollogie that ya git from that thar book learnin'".

Personally, I think the current administration LIKES being dependant on foreign oil. That way the Stupid Cowboy has the platform to push all of his crazy money-wasting, soldier-killing, environment-wrecking agendas.
Please don't call him a cowboy, as a cowboy is an independent person not swayed by anyone else and he is FAR from that! Also what energy policy?..lolKevin

Old 11-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by xcel
___H2 is so far off in the future if ever even practical to discuss imho. All I see is a huge boondoggle to keep us on the Oil std. FCV’s? Not only are the FCV’s costs and range outrageous (.5 million a copy w/ extremely limited range), the FC’s PEM’s longevity and ability to run under all temperature conditions is far less then a std. automobiles ICE. Running an ICE on H2 directly ala Ford and BMW is probably far more practical? In either case, creation and storage of H2 is so far out in Star Trek territory as to make this conversation practically irrelevant no matter how many $’s are wasted on the H2 economy. The joke is on all of us in fact.

You're right. I really hadn't thought about the topic that much, but hydrogen just isn't going to cut it.

I had, somewhere in my mind, that in a decade or so, when it came time to replace my FEH, that I would go with a FCV, which would probably developed by that point. Now, I doubt that will ever happen.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Automakers are betting that hydrogen-fueled cars are the future - a long road awaits

Maybe someday in the very far off future we will have nuclear powered cars like the reactors that power deep space probes. A chunk of fissionable material in a highly protected containment cell that produces heat that powers a thermocouple to produce electricity. Sounds expensive and dangerous but who knows, maybe it just might work.

Or as mr. bush would say "neeuclear"....

Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Green Missionary

Talk about not cutting it. How about the following which won't be available even for our grandchildren - if ever!

1) Cold fusion power. We aren't even sure if cold fusion is possible, much less controlable. But so far, it has not been definitively shown to be impossible. Even if it is possible, however, there are major scientific breakthroughs necessary (not to mention technological ones) before any such power source is ready for prime time.

2) Capturing ambient energy. This is also a long way down the road - if it ever comes about. The space around us is chock-full of various kinds of energy. The problem is to capture it in some kind of form that is usable (or in a form which can be converted to usability).

We can do this today. Voltaic (solar) cells are an example. But to make this power source viable, we would need to increase the efficiency of energy collection manyfold and also increase the spectrum of energy which can be collected.

This thus also has major scientific and technological hurdles. I doubt that we will see any form of "energy collectors" powering our vehicles (or homes, farms, industy, etc.) in the near future. But a few generations down the road . . . ?

But if this technology does develop, there is "free" energy for the taking - with a minimal environmental impact when collected and used.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've seen a device demonstrated that collected ambient energy to do work. It was basically a heat pump with large sets of coils outside that absorb heat, they feel mildly cool to the touch. The fluid is pumped into a heat collector that runs a heat engine, in turn generating electrical power and pumping water. It wasn't exactly something you could fit in a car, but it would work at home or in large industrial areas, especially if they produce waste heat. "Free" energy is not really out of reach, but there are barriers to getting it into a useable form.