Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   GM to Use Cost Savings to Fight Toyota `Green' Cars (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/gm-use-cost-savings-fight-toyota-green-cars-10742/)

leahbeatle 10-30-2006 09:55 AM

Re: GM to Use Cost Savings to Fight Toyota `Green' Cars

In reading the article, I'm less interested in the content than in the tone of the story, because the content is mere speculation, with anonymous sources stating, 'our plans are...' etc. These kinds of stories buy some 'green' publicity for GM relatively free of charge, since they get headlines connecting GM with being green without any actual follow-through required. So I'm interested in the tone, to see if they're really getting positive news coverage here or not.

GM is playing catch-up in ``green car'' technology....``Toyota has a head start, and it's always a challenge to catch the guy in front,'' said Eric Fedewa, director of powertrain forecasts for consulting firm CSM Worldwide in Farmington Hills, Michigan.
Hmmm....

Demand for the Toyota's hybrids, including the Prius, has helped the Toyota City, Japan-based company boost U.S. sales 11 percent in the year through September. GM sales have dropped 11 percent.
Hmmmm....., again.

Toyota and Honda Motor Co.'s hybrid vehicles led the U.S. government's list of fuel-efficient 2007 models, released this month. GM didn't have a model in the top 10; Toyota and Honda had seven combined.
and

Wagoner and Vice Chairman Bob Lutz this month toured GM's hybrid development center in Troy, Michigan, for the first time to let researchers know the company is making such technologies a priority, according to people familiar with the visit. In meetings, Wagoner, 53, has stressed the automaker is now fully committed to hybrid and other technologies, they said.

``This is a major shift for GM because in the past it had gone out of its way to criticize the financial viability of hybrids,'' said John Casesa, managing partner at Casesa Strategic Advisors in New York.
Even the headline itself is ambiguous in terms of giving GM 'credit' for being green, since fighting Toyota's green cars could actually imply being anti-green. I would say that, image-wise, GM could have been a lot happier with this article.

phoebeisis 10-30-2006 09:57 AM

CR recommends-Tahoe,Malibu Maxx,Monte Carlo,Impala-

Ashen,
You are somewhat overstating the case; Consumer reports recommends the four Chevy vehicles above. They have recently removed the 1500 from recommended because of less than average reliability(it did well in their last big truck comparison-2004 I think). The Ford,and Dodge trucks have never been recommended.Right now the Tundra is the only rec. 1/2 ton pickup.
The Tahoe is currently rec. This might be a good sign of things to come.
GMs trucks are very popular-once they get the QC under better control, they will become more popular(unless the new Tundra is a home run, but the Tundra is soooo expensive...)The 1st full hybrid 1/2 ton will be very popular(if it isn't too expensive)
Luck
Charlie

bwilson4web 10-30-2006 10:31 AM

Something you pointed out:

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
. . .
Even the headline itself is ambiguous in terms of giving GM 'credit' for being green, since fighting Toyota's green cars could actually imply being anti-green. I would say that, image-wise, GM could have been a lot happier with this article.

I've seen other articles claiming '$1 B. investment in hybrid technologies; a consortium of car makers; and a thousand engineers' yet this is such a high priority:

Originally Posted by article
Wagoner and Vice Chairman Bob Lutz this month toured GM's hybrid development center in Troy, Michigan, for the first time to let researchers know the company is making such technologies a priority, . . .

Having worked for GE, Boeing and other engineering firms, one thing I know for sure, "the best ferterlizer is the farmers foot prints." So when I read this is their first visit I'm gratified that at least they made a visit which slightly eases my misgivings that this is their first visit.

Bob Wilson

martinjlm 10-30-2006 07:53 PM

:P

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
......because the content is mere speculation, with anonymous sources stating, 'our plans are...' etc. .....

BINGO!!! It just wouldn't have sounded right if I had said it, so I just sat back to see if anybody got the same feel for the tone that I did. The writer added 2 + 2 and got 22.

I'm done with my latte.

Thanks, Leahbeatle!

Peace,

Martin

clett 10-31-2006 01:54 AM

Guess we'll see in January....

ken1784 10-31-2006 09:36 PM

I believe GM needs to clear up the one million vehicles inventory before fighting with Toyota in the Green Car area. :)

Ken@Japan