Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Insurance Discount for Hybrid Owners (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/insurance-discount-hybrid-owners-5317/)

AlmostInsight 01-06-2006 01:28 PM

Insurance Discount for Hybrid Owners

On the news last night they mentioned that Hybrid owners are going to get a ten percent discount from Travelers Insurance starting 2/06. Also that they have found Hybrid owners to be safer drivers, the reason they are safer they did not know.
I know why, because we are always watching the mileage meter, therefor driving slow. lol, I know it's only part of it.
I hope other insurance companies will follow. If the facts show the risks are lower they should. But it seems to be a grouping issue. If the insurance companies group me for say, as a Honda civic owner I get no discount. But if they make a group for HCH owner, I should. Good luck to all.

Delta Flyer 01-06-2006 01:37 PM

Re: Insurance Discount for Hybrid Owners

I hope Travelers' stock is hot!

This had been discussed in past threads - glad an insurance company finally gave hybrid drivers a break!

jdenenberg 01-06-2006 02:05 PM

Chuck,

Since I am a Traveler's custormer mark me happy. 10% is a chunk of change on auto insurance.

JeffD :)

tanstaafl14 01-06-2006 05:25 PM

I just visited the Travelers Web site to find a local agent. Turns out one of them is the local AAA office! :) If you're an AAA member, check to see if your part of the country has that arrangement.

Sledge 01-06-2006 06:18 PM

No Travelers' for Michigan :(

Pravus Prime 01-07-2006 01:45 AM

My insurance went down $300 a year, after I changed from a '95 Ford Explorer to a '06 FEH. (Though there's always the chance that having some "important" Birthday may have also been at root of it, as someone mentioned recently.)

Even so, this is good news.

AlmostInsight 01-07-2006 08:27 PM

My question about the 10% is, is it 10% of the total premium? or 10% of just on part of it? If one of you have spoken to Travelers maybe you know?

Tim 01-07-2006 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostInsight
On the news last night they mentioned that Hybrid owners are going to get a ten percent discount from Travelers Insurance starting 2/06. Also that they have found Hybrid owners to be safer drivers, the reason they are safer they did not know.
I know why, because we are always watching the mileage meter, therefor driving slow. lol, I know it's only part of it.
I hope other insurance companies will follow. If the facts show the risks are lower they should. But it seems to be a grouping issue. If the insurance companies group me for say, as a Honda civic owner I get no discount. But if they make a group for HCH owner, I should. Good luck to all.

You know, as distracted as I was with all the guages in my HCH I I'm surprised I didn't get in a wreck. You can almost argue we are a liability for the first 6-9 months of owning one until we quit obesssing over the guages. ;)

My dad is a long-time State Farm agent. We were talking about safe cars when I was a teenager and Volvos came up. His comment was interesting. He said what helps the legend that Volvos are safe is that people who own them are typically safe drivers in the first place. Insurance companies sure know their demographics. :)

Glad to hear about the discount. Hopefully others will follow suit. Once one does, I think it pressures the others to stay competative.

AlmostInsight 01-09-2006 02:00 PM

Tim, Can you ask your dad if State Farm has had any words about a hybrid discount?

Tim 01-10-2006 06:46 AM

Sure - he's out of the office for a bit on vacation, but I'll try to get back and post the answer. May be next week however....