Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   More LEDs in Cars (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/more-leds-cars-3932/)

Delta Flyer 10-03-2005 06:17 AM

More LEDs in Cars

LEDs have already been replacing light bulbs in car interiors - now they are used as signal and tail lights. Soon, they will probably be used as headlights. They last much longer and use less energy.

MSNBC Story

Robert_Detjen 10-03-2005 09:04 AM

Re: More LEDs in Cars

I've seen motorcycles with LED headlights - but I haven't been impressed with the shape/distance of the beam yet. I definately prefer them for marker lights, turn signals and brake lights though...

What I really want to see is a hybrid motorcycle. I have a 650cc Suzuki Burgman scooter with an EC-CVT - and I think it would be a great candidate.

Delta Flyer 10-03-2005 09:18 AM

I have an LCD flashlight that has a crank generator - theoretically it would last forever. Since the crank resembles the ones on a car window, maybe I should put one there to keep my hybrid battery charged at intersections. :D

It looks like LCD have come a long way, but may not be ready for headlights yet.

Robert_Detjen 10-03-2005 09:45 AM

Talking about keeping the hybrid charged - I really wish they would put solar cells into the roof of my Escape. I know I couldn't drive it on solar power alone - but sitting in the intense Texas sun all day should give it enough to go another mile or two - or to help with the AC...

I mounted solar panels on the deck of my boat probably 15 years ago. They kept the battery charged, powered fans and powered a radio inside the cabin.

Delta Flyer 10-03-2005 09:48 AM

I'd agree on automotive solar cells.

While it might not recharge the hybrid battery, it might maintain the charge it has, esp. in 100-degree weather.

gonavy 10-03-2005 10:34 AM

There are still some issues with LEDs, at least for headlamp usage, as of late 2003. I'm not an expert on auto lighting standards, but as I recall there are still some engineering issues to work through- getting the proper combination of colors to give the proper irradiance over the proper solid angle and range to be street legal in the US...and at a cost < what's already available.

Red and green LEDs are very cheap- its the blue ones that are the problem children.

The 'white' ones you can get now may be good enough to eyeball with a flashlight, but its not good enough yet to be street legal.

Schwa 10-04-2005 08:15 PM

Right now there's LED technology that would be suitable for headlights, but it's extremely expensive at this time. It would be a compound light of 5 watt LEDs with large heatsyncs. It will be quite a while before they are ready, right now HID is probably the best bet at just 35 watts per bulb, but still expensive.