Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Torque Pickup Truck Commericials (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/torque-pickup-truck-commericials-5587/)

Delta Flyer 01-22-2006 08:32 PM

Torque Pickup Truck Commericials

Just in case I'm off course., let me know.

Today I saw a commercial of a Ford F150 or F250 lifting a big rig such as a Peterbuilt.

For some weeks I've heard this radio commercial of this guy stressing that what his pickup needs is lots of torque like the GM (Silverado?) Mentioned torque at least six times.

My question is just how many home contractors, landscapers, other professionals that really need big hauling capacity need to be concerned about torque? Five million maybe?

I get the suspicion that torque is going to be used about as much as the off-road capability of most SUV's - by less than 5% of the general public. These ads seem to appeal to drivers that want a King Kong sized vehicle (and maybe a King Kong sized *****). Tomorrow Ford is going to announce plant closings and layoffs. Why does it seem Detroit is oblivious to the market? :angry: :confused:

Archslater 01-23-2006 05:00 AM

Re: Torque Pickup Truck Commericials

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
.......... really need .................

I would estimate that only 5-10% of the population buys what they really need. The rest buy based on image and marketing. I don't "really need" a hybrid. I could get by easily with a regular civic.

texashchman 01-23-2006 05:20 AM

With the tires that came with my Tahoe I couldn't even think of going off road or even put snow chains on it! Course I NEVER even planned on going off road with it either.kevin

Delta Flyer 01-23-2006 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Archslater
I would estimate that only 5-10% of the population buys what they really need. The rest buy based on image and marketing. I don't "really need" a hybrid. I could get by easily with a regular civic.

You are putting that hybrid capacity to good use. It's not exactly showy, as Civics don't stand out like other hybrids. You're still more pragmatic than the urban commuter that is strutting in their 6-liter bemoth.