Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Walmart to make hybrid cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Walmart to make hybrid cars?

I think Wal-Mart is great for American folk and the country. WalMart employees pay $8.00 per month for medical insurance. I pay $645. for the same coverage from my company (US bank). If someone in china is making the equivalent of $2.00 per hour but the rest of the town is making less then that, where is the harm. It is all relevant. Someone in a third world country has a hut built on stilts and that is a castle for that neighborhood. You cant compare houses or money between the two countries. Im going to apply to walmart for a job

Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cornpower
blog post. does that count as media? anyway, thought it was interesting.

"Does anyone want to take a bet that Walmart can manufacture and market an inexpensive electric car faster than GM can get the Volt ready for mass production? Didn't think so."

http://vlane.com/blogs_article/116/h...ow-performance

WalMark doesn't MAKE, DESIGN, or MANUFACTURE ANYTHING! They simply buy it from the cheapest source.

Not sure I want to be driving in a car built by the lowest bidder....

Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Engineering first

You don't like the Trabant or the upscale version, the Yugo?
Originally Posted by Wiki_GDR_jokes
How do you double the value of a Trabant? Fill up the tank!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDR_jokes

Even better:
Originally Posted by Time_special
This is the car that gave Communism a bad name. Powered by a two-stroke pollution generator that maxed out at an ear-splitting 18 hp, the Trabant was a hollow lie of a car constructed of recycled worthlessness ...
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658030,00.html

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-11-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't seen anything from China I would drive. The quality is just not there. How about Safety? A guy contacted me a few years ago from China about selling his ATV's. There were fairly cheap. About $300 for the 50cc up to $2000 for the 400cc ones. Started checking up on them and found nothing but complaints from the customers that had bought them. Ebay was flooded with them and there was complaint after complaint about the things breaking on the first day or within a week. Talked to my local ATV dealer and he said he had a guy bring one in that wasn't running. The guy paid $500 for it at a used car lot. Broke within' a week. There was no warranty on it. Took it back to the used car lot and they told him there was nothing they could do. He took it to the Polaris dealer to see if they could fix it. They looked all over for parts and told him it was going to be over $2000 to fix it. He had them fix it anyway. Guess he had the money to blow. They had to order parts from China since there were none here. Look at the tractor in the box? Are the cars going to be the same way? Put it together yourself?

A few Ebay Chinese ATV complaints:

Chinese atv
by: brianr35( 133)
2 out of 3 people found this guide helpful.
Guide viewed: 639 times Tags: 4 wheelers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have bought 2 of these Chinese machines one was a Sunquest 110 cc and the latest one is Roketa 110 cc. I don't know why I have wasted the money . They both have had electrical problems and the sunquest had transmission problems. All within a few weeks of being out of the crate.

Never again I will pay for the big names . You get what you pay for!!!!!!

Brian

http://reviews.ebay.com/Chinese-atv_...00000003861724

http://reviews.ebay.com/Roketa-Woes_...00000003822031

http://reviews.ebay.com/T-Motorsport...00000003872953

http://reviews.ebay.com/CHINESE-BIKE...00000006929176

http://reviews.ebay.com/cheap-ATV-no...00000001885166

http://reviews.ebay.com/Chinese-atv-...00000002367647

I'm not the Brian that left the review. I would never buy one of these pieces of junk. It took me 30 seconds to find these reviews. And there are 1000's more like it all over the net. Are these going to be the same people that might build a car for Wal-Mart? Even if the car is only $6000-$10000. Count me out.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Walmart doesn't have the technical knowlege to make anyhing even remotely close to what's required for a hybrid like the TCH. I mean........if it was that easy to make, why are so many automotive firms just now getting into the fold??? Because making a well-designed hybrid like the Prius or the TCH requires a TON of R&D to develop. Walmart makes money.......as previously mentioned, that's it.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
........if it was that easy to make, why are so many automotive firms just now getting into the fold?
Actually. Many of them got into it many many years ago. But they all, except Toyota and a little by Ford, Dropped their plans because Gas was Cheep! Put gas back to $2.00 per gallon and Hummer Sales will flourish again. I hope that this current market stays long enough to make hybrids an everyday car regardless of price. Just like air bags became standard.

So we now know the magic number. $4.00 seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back. Now that we are looking at $5.00 soon, Hybrids will flourish. I don't feel sorry for people with low mileage cars. We can all get better mileage even if it isn't hybrid. If you can double your mileage that is just as good so a driver getting 10mpg will have a huge gain by getting a vehicle that gets 20mpg.

I feel sorry for are the people heating their homes with Oil and Gas. They are looking at $3,000 to $5,000 just to get through the winter and thats if the price does not change. For me, I switched to wood heat and a hybrid.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I too feel for those who heat with oil. We did while living in Maine in 2006. What was $2.50/gal is now about $4.15. Lot of poor folks who are going to have to decide whether to turn the lights on, eat, or heat their homes. Looks like a pick two of three situation. Not good.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
I think Wal-Mart is great for American folk and the country. WalMart employees pay $8.00 per month for medical insurance. I pay $645. for the same coverage from my company (US bank). If someone in china is making the equivalent of $2.00 per hour but the rest of the town is making less then that, where is the harm. It is all relevant. Someone in a third world country has a hut built on stilts and that is a castle for that neighborhood. You cant compare houses or money between the two countries. Im going to apply to walmart for a job
Have fun with your 8 dollar an hour job selling questionably produced goods and cheap factory farmed food.

Walmart has the power to transform this country for the better. They have done nothing but drive prices down and help the bleeding of jobs overseas.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I worked for Wal-Mart tonight. Had to check myself out and bag it. Wonder what they'll pay me. I saw they had a barber shop too. Wonder if I would have had to cut my own hair. I hope they don't put in a Dentist office.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brawn
I worked for Wal-Mart tonight. Had to check myself out and bag it. Wonder what they'll pay me. I saw they had a barber shop too. Wonder if I would have had to cut my own hair. I hope they don't put in a Dentist office.
In a few years (after we've all become unemployed by outsourcing) they'll start a program where you get to work in a position in your own sweatshop! You'll get to touch the product from start to finish being paid pennies a day! A company store will provide for your most "basic" needs but you'll have to pay for it in company "credits". you won't need healthcare because your decreased life expectancy will eliminate the issues of living to an old age...

Tragically at the end someone with a job overseas will have enough money to actually BUY the item, but you might get to eat say... two or three days a week!!!!

Quick Reply: Walmart to make hybrid cars?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands