Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

I saw it last night and just the expression on Bush's face when he asks the guy how far his car will go on a full tank of hydrogen (about 100 miles) is worth the price of admission.

Bush: well, thats great, we're gonna go look at some other cars now.

The only thing is that the people who really need to see this movie will be just as ignorant of its existence as they were of electric cars in the first place.

Last edited by SretiCentV; 07-29-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

lars-ss, that didn't happen to be the silver-blue EV1 I saw driving around the Peoria & I-17 area all the time was it?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I see the movie finally made it to Boulder. The theater shares it's parking lot with Whole Foods. The lot should be even more of a hybrid car show than normal.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

Originally Posted by SretiCentV
I saw it last night and just the expression on Bush's face when he asks the guy how far his car will go on a full tank of hydrogen (about 100 miles) is worth the price of admission.

Bush: well, thats great, we're gonna go look at some other cars now.

The only thing is that the people who really need to see this movie will be just as ignorant of its existence as they were of electric cars in the first place.
Of course not seeing the movie I really don't want to comment ... but found I had a similar expression when I met with Dana Myers of Myers Motors last month. (see link) Producing and selling one seat EVs that go 30 miles a charge is going to get the same feedback as hydrogen vehicles going 100 miles on a tank. "Let's move on ..."

Old 07-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rick
lars-ss, that didn't happen to be the silver-blue EV1 I saw driving around the Peoria & I-17 area all the time was it?
It might have been. The primary driver lives in Peoria, around 75th Ave and Thunderbird. We had it in 2000 and a few months into 2001.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I found the movie interesting. I am an avid electric/hybrid supporter but I found one problem with the movie. While I don't doubt GM killed the car under suspisious pretense, it is easy to figure out why they crunched all the existing cars- they didn't want to keep dealers stocked with replacement parts. That demystifies some of the movie. They should have concentrated on GM's refusal to promote it rather than WHY ARE THEY SHREADING THESE PERFECTLY NEW CARS?????

Last edited by jaykay; 08-03-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Vegetarian

I got to see it on Wednesday. Made me really disappointed in everything... except batteries.

One thing I don't think they mentioned was how long it took for the batteries to be charged. Anyone happen to know?

I love my car, but I would give it up for an EV.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

In the movie they implied it charged overnight. Looked very easy.
Technology will surely shorten that. Fortunately in America, the bad guys cannot buy EVERY patent. Necessity is the mother of invention. Some future Henry Ford (although hopefully not such a **** sympathizer) will grasp on the next wave of technology and the current wave of safety technology and develop the mass produced electric car that will make the GMs of the world go the way of the horse (along with their hydrogen fuel).

Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
One thing I don't think they mentioned was how long it took for the batteries to be charged. Anyone happen to know?

Looks like it depends on the type of batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

But I seem to recall someone saying that it only took 45 minutes to go from near-empty to near-full, and you only need an overnight charge if you want to top it off.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

To learn more about electric cars check out: www.evworld.com. I've learned an enormous amount about EV's and what's coming through their website. Some amazing vehicles are coming our way. Anybody got a spare 100 grand laying around for the Tesla?

Quick Reply: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands