2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Roch - my experience is the same.....the right temp **** seems to land half way between each of the white markings on the dash....by design? or just poor attention to detail? ...and I have heard that Ford has gone away from their annoying practice of NOT including an "OFF" position on the fan switch(?).....which makes you adjust the center selector...when manually moderating temperature by turning the climate control on and off...

Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

So far I was unable to keep in EV mode much past 25 mph. I realize the vehicle is new and this should improve. I was just surprised to see it stay EV until nearly 40 mph and wondered if it had anything to do with being in “L” ? I tried today to duplicate this result without success. Does anyone fell that there is an advantage in getting to stay EV at higher speeds in “L” vs. “D” or was that just a coincidence?

The ECON feature related to the air conditioner as I understand is new this year. When activated it supposedly will allow the ICE to shut off at slow down and stops and even start up and run in EV mode as normal. It works with the normal air conditioner setting. In ECON, the air conditioner stops blowing cold air (a little residual cool air was noticed) when ICE shuts off. If you are in the Max mode the ICE cannot shut off as normal. I guess the nice thing about ECON is you set it and forget it.

Yes the air conditioning system also offers driver and passenger temp. control. Set the temp the way you want and it adjusts. It also displays outside Temp.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wvujeb
It works similar to that teester, but I think it is to control the climate control. You can set teh climate control to the temp. that you would like and set the ECON mode if you don't want it to run the A/C unless the ICE is running.

Hmmm... is that a mariner only feature. Ford likes to differentiate the two to make the Mercury line more refined.... I wouldn't be suprised if the temperature setting on the climate control is only on the Mariner. Doesn't have to be of course.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe they went with the ECON mode on the Escape and the Mariner. I checked the Escape Owner's Manual pdf and it is described in there, then again so are steering wheel audio controls.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 PM

The "ECON" feature operates no differently from the normal AC setting on the 05-07 models. I think Ford just realized that putting MAX AC in RED and AC in white wasn't clear enough to previous owners. By renaming the feature it makes more sense. I think the only thing that has changed is the inclusion of climate control and dual zone.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Tim K, did the 05 - 06 with air conditioner on in the normal range "White" allow the ICE to shut off when slowing down, at stop and running in EV up to normal range ? if yes then there would appear to be no functional difference.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigApple
Tim K, did the 05 - 06 with air conditioner on in the normal range "White" allow the ICE to shut off when slowing down, at stop and running in EV up to normal range ? if yes then there would appear to be no functional difference.
Yes.

A/C can only run when the ICE is running. On '05 to '07, the regular "white" AC setting allowed the ICE to start/stop as normal, with therefore AC only available sometimes. The max "red" AC setting forced the ICE to run continuous.

I can see that to be confusing since max and regular AC are the same markings Ford uses on non-hybrids.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
N/A

Operating the '08 climate control is pretty straightforward.

The center **** is a "power" button (circle w/vertical line) same as electronics like a cell phone. Left **** is "AUTO". Press either and the system comes on in AUTO, press again for "off". AUTO controls everything: temp, compressor on/off, airflow, fan and recirc.

I've owned many cars with auto climate and this is one of the best. I'm always comfy, unlike my last hybrid ('04 Prius) or my '06 Legacy. It's more like makes known for excellent systems, i.e. Buick, Cadillac and Lincoln. Set & forget.

If ECON is pressed (lit) it will stay that way even if you turn the system off/on or adjust things manually. ECON allows ICE shutdown to override a need for cool cabin air, nothing else. Turn it off and cabin temp requirements rule, and the ICE will operate if needed.

Note: If ICE for cooling isn't needed, it won't run. The engine doesn't "run continuously" with ECON off unless it's needed.

I like the AC button and light, too, next to the ECON button. If it's say, 50°F and sunny, the AC may come on automatically at some point. It lights up to tell you. Then you can manually turn it off and put down a window if you want, without affecting the other settings like airflow.