Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Nissan Altima Hybrid/Infiniti M35h/ Q50 hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/)
-   -   Can you mod the HEV for more / longer EV use? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/can-you-mod-hev-more-longer-ev-use-15835/)

iboomalot 11-03-2007 10:30 AM

Can you mod the HEV for more / longer EV use?

Car is great power when you need it.

Battery full = slow accel
Battery 1/2 full = no accel over 10 mph before motor pops in

Any mod that could allow more throttle in EV mode???

I would love more accel to about 30 mph then have gas kick in.

Throttle position = 4% or less or ICE kicks in.

like 10% throttle before ICE kicks in.

TheSpoils 11-03-2007 10:35 AM

Re: Can you mod the HEV for more / longer EV use?

I agree with you, more accel power would be great as well as a higher EV mode speed. I find better accel power when I have a full charge. I've been seeing a lot of hype about the A123 systems new LI-ON batteries. Wonder if that would help?

talmy 11-04-2007 07:21 AM

These cars ultimately get all of their power from the gas engine. The system is designed to run the gas engine when it is more efficient than battery only, and acceleration is one of those times. When the battery is near full charge it will allow more battery-only acceleration to drain the battery down to insure it will be able to absorb regenerative braking energy.

TheSpoils 11-18-2007 12:01 PM

Some times, when im on back roads, i will force the EV mode until the battery runs down to empty. On almost flat roadway i can get about 2 miles in ev mode before the engine forces on. I get some of my best mileage this way. What is the top speed for EV mode in your TCH? My top speed is about 41-42 MPH then the gas engine kicks in.

talmy 11-18-2007 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpoils (Post 150401)
What is the top speed for EV mode in your TCH? My top speed is about 41-42 miles per hour then the gas engine kicks in.

Same top speed. Nissan licenses the system from Toyota. The only difference in the drive train seems to be the ICE used.