Good Altima Hybrid Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Good Altima Hybrid Review

Originally Posted by David Beale
The Hybrid Altima is aimed at being competition for the Camry, and an equivalent Camry is about $1000 more. In fact, even the Prius, with equivalent equipment, is about $2000 more.
If you don't want people to know you're driving a hybrid, this is one good choice along with the Camry and Civic. It looks the same as all the thousands of "normal" Altimas on the road, except it has a rear spoiler. Curiously, the Hybrid Altima is a little higher than the "normal" version. I couldn't figure out why. Perhaps because of the slightly higher weight, Nissan put in a slightly taller suspension.

They're making my decision more difficult - Pruis, Civic Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, or Altima Hybrid!
If I had to make my decision (and a lot of people will) based on the reviews, the Camry may be worth the extra $1000. Though I’m not finding the same price descriptions while shopping here in the US.

Including destination charge. I’ve found that fully Equip Hybrid Camry (MSRP $32,300) and a Hybrid Altima is (MSRP $32,275) almost exactly the same. A Hybrid Camry with all the bells a whistles can be had without haggling for $27,500 with destination charge. Nissan, even here in California refuses to move much (most of the time – not at all) on the Hybrid Altima. I would same for shame,if not for my wife’s comment on the harshness of the ride.

A fully equip Prius for MSRP $27,865 (selling for $24,400) with destination.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
If I had to make my decision (and a lot of people will) based on the reviews, the Camry may be worth the extra $1000. Though I’m not finding the same price descriptions while shopping here in the US.

Including destination charge. I’ve found that fully Equip Hybrid Camry (MSRP $32,300) and a Hybrid Altima is (MSRP $32,275) almost exactly the same. A Hybrid Camry with all the bells a whistles can be had without haggling for $27,500 with destination charge. Nissan, even here in California refuses to move much (most of the time – not at all) on the Hybrid Altima. I would same for shame,if not for my wife’s comment on the harshness of the ride.

A fully equip Prius for MSRP $27,865 (selling for $24,400) with destination.
The Prius is going to be the car I actually get for myself when I trade up to a hybrid. (As much as I yabber, the Altima hybrid is my husband's car.) I'm going to wait, though, for the 2008 Prius. The plug in looks very exciting. Till then, I "borrow" the Altima hybrid as much as possible.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

The "new" Prius using LiIon batteries will most likely be -after- 2008. Possibly 2009 (on sale fall of 2008) or maybe even later. One Toyota spokesperson said "not until or after 2010". They may just be posturing to avoid loss of sales to persons like you Marianne. No official word yet on if it will have a "plugin" capability, though the LiIon battery is "in work", according to official Toyota people.

I am standing from one foot to the other, re the Prius vs Altima Hybrid. The Altima is a very nice car to drive. The Prius is nice enough, but not as nice as, the Altima. The Prius IS much more versatile (better cargo room, better rear seat room), and gets much better mileage. They are priced about the same here in Canada. Even the Camry is about the same price.
Talk about a hard decision! It's fun though.

We now have govt. rebates when we purchase fuel efficient vehicles in Canada. Prius gets $2000, Altima Hybrid and Camry gets $1500 - and it's money back, not a "tax rebate/incentive". I took a Prius for a test drive yesterday (again), this time at a different local dealer. It appears the dealers are arranging it so THEY get the benefit of the $2000 (car ends up costing $2000 more). The crooks!

Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

David, I flip flop between the two a lot too. We love the Altima hybrid. It's turning out to be a lovely car to drive. What is still a big IF to me is the MPG. My first two tanks seemed pretty okay... but now I'm watching this third tank and it seem to be getting MUCH lower MPG... but the electronic guage says it is doing fine while the tank needle says other wise.

I won't give the Altima hybrid a 100% nod of approval till I've seen what it does on a few more tanks of gas.