Nah Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Nah Test Data

Thanks for the Accolades, that was my most recent tank. It was about 90% city driving (i consider anything under 40mph in which i can use ev mode to be city). I also fear running out of gas and did not enjoy driving around with a gas can in the trunk for the last 100 miles. The fumes seem to invade the cabin and I'm sure that gasoline fumes and high voltage batteries may not be too good together. I use 44 psi and synthetic 0w-20 and an extremely light foot. Probably could have made it to 850miles if we did not have the noreaster last week. My goal is to attain 50 mpg sustained for at least 500 miles.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:10 AM
igh
NAH Owner

Since your tires are at 44 psi, I think your odometer is definitely
underreporting mileage by atleast 3-4%. That means your actual
mpg should be in the 45 range instead of 43. Since the mpg
in the dash shows 47 that would be more reasonable. Otherwise
the error is almost 10% which seems excessive.

You can do the Google maps test to see if your odometer is accurate.
You can drag a route in Google maps to excatly conform to the
route that you want to take. Note the miles and then do the trip.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Thanks, I have noticed that the display is always off between 1-3 mpg from the hand calculations. I have used a gps unit, but the model I have is only accurate (display) by .5 miles, even so the vehicle and gps are close, within 1 mile over 30 mile trip. If you have time, can you type up a walk through for google maps? I have browsed but cannot determine how to set a route to measure distance.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:37 PM
igh
NAH Owner

In Google maps fisrt type in a strating address complete with street number from where you want to start (maybe home address). Then
type in a destination about 20 miles away (again complete street address)

When you click on driving directions, Google will calculate a route and show you the distance to the tenth of a mile.
The route will be marked in blue on a map. You can grab this blue line
using the mouse and drag it to another point on the map to configure the route as you wish. The calculated distance will also change as the route changes. I am from the bay area and this feature is available here. I am not sure though if it is avaialble in all parts of the country.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Thank you, I just plotted out my usual commute to work. The map displayed 29.3 miles and usually my display reads 30 miles. It is not off by much. I anticipated that it would be off by about 1-2 miles. I am going to try to plot a different trip (other location) and see what numbers I get. thanks for your help, I think this is a very useful tool.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mag19
I just hit 759 miles in one tank full. I was averaging 41.4 mpg according to the computer and hand calculated it at 40.8. I still could only put in 18.6 gallons. But the gauge was below E and I got chicken to go any further. I bet I could have hit 800 miles. My mileage is up since the warmer weather
Very nice!

I just did 751 miles on 18.6 gallons, so you've still got my best tank beat (43.0mpg by the computer, 40.4mpg by hand). I'd probably have been able to stretch it out another 20 miles or so, except we just had a heat wave (4 days of 90+) and the air conditioning killed my mileage. Warmer weather does help, but hot weather hurts.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Congrats on the excellent range and mpg. Seems like many of the NAH's are pulling some decent numbers now.

See my new SUMMER MPG test results at http://www.thespoils.8m.com/photo2_1.html here are the specifics:

The non-variables are Temp. 80F, tire psi 44, warm engine, and cruise control AC on.
The vehicle was accelerated to the test speeds 45-55-60-65 the cruise control was applied, odometer and mpg were reset each time. Due to those speeds, EV was not used. Some variables include wind direction, only one test was performed for each speed and in one direction, which will null this as a scientific test however it does give a general idea of the numbers and they coincide with the usual numbers I am achieving.

Last edited by TheSpoils; 06-13-2008 at 05:52 AM. Reason: fixed the link
Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

I just hit 804 miles on a full tank. I used 18.642 gallons, thus 43.2 miles per gallon (hand calculated). My gauge was under E so I didn't dare go any futher, but I did have an extra gallon of gas in the trunk just in case. I have been able to top 45 mpg over the last 400 miles.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Fantastic, good to see some of us NAH people breaking the 800 mile benchmark. I probably will not be exceeding that mileage again because I don't enjoy having to worry about running out of fuel. I guess it is good enough to just say that it is possible to attain at least 800 miles in this vehicle under the right conditions. Additionally, you sometimes cannot pass-up the cheap gas you find in your travels.