Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Anybody got a cool renewable energy source?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anybody got a cool renewable energy source?

Hi Lakedude:

___The ultimate - cool - renewable energy source … And one Hot_Georgia_2004 might love to power his shelter

Zero Point Energy Modules Nearing Preproduction Stage

___Do a Google on Dr. Greer and Zero Point Energy if you find the topic even the slightest bit interesting? It is fringe but there is something their given the 94 + years of science devoted to it. Both Einstein and Tesla as well as thousands of other scientists and engineers were/are involved in its theory, understanding, and search from way back when all the way to present day from my understanding …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have seriously considered putting a solar array on my property. I have a barn that faces SSW and would be a good candidate as soon as I chop down a few oak and swamp maple trees.

I have an all electric house, so solar for me would help a great deal.

For a 10Kw farm, they are asking about $75k, with a $5.30/w rebate from the state, I am left with about a $22k price tag. I have almost pulled the trigger on this three times.

I need a new roof on the barn, too (about $3k).

I am still thinking about this.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 PM

Zadscmc,

What happens to excess capacity ?

Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If they are all off grid I don't think there would be a problem. Also depending on where you live would determine if it would be feasable. If you need A/C I would tend to think the costs would be high, but there are homes off the grid that use solar and wind and do fine.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:10 PM

Texas, I asked about grid hook-up to get an idea regarding pay back time, since it seems likely that a 10 kW array is more than his house uses.

Actually, I just did a bit of arithmetic, and maybe not .. Is 25% efficiency about expected ?

Sounds like about a 10 year break-even point (although winter is an open question regarding power generation in NJ). If the array is good for 20 years, then a 50% reduction in cost, AND green energy is downright brilliant.

I'd like to hear the money analysis from Zadscmc.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:24 PM

I looked at BP Power site for a 10kw solar and without batteries and no backup gen. it was like 82,500.00. This will save according to the chart 61.00 a month or 741 dollars a year.Kevin

Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 PM

What assumptions were used in the BP estimate ? My earlier estimate was way off. This one below seems closer:

If the array is 25% efficient during 10 hours a day at 10 cents/kWh for an average 30 day month, it would equal $2.5/day, or $900/year.

.. suggesting no profit, but close to the cost of grid energy.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Originally Posted by EricGo
Zadscmc,

What happens to excess capacity ?
Excess capacity goes back through the meter to the grid, effectively spinning the meter backwards. There are no batteries on this type of system.

In the summer, when my demand is low, I pump the electricity to the grid and in the winter, when my demand is high, I tap the grid (my battery so to speak).

In NJ the current rate for electricity is .07/kwh generation .07/kwh delivery in the winter it is .05/kwh generation .06/kwh delivery (rounded numbers).

There are also grid tied inverters for wind, though I would not be elgiible for any rebates for them because my area is not rated to generate enough wattage by wind. However, I think I can make this work in the winter, during those n'easter wind/snow storms.

Last edited by zadscmc; 07-07-2005 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Thanks Charlie.

Do you have to pay extra for the 2-way grid connection ?

Old 07-07-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by EricGo
What assumptions were used in the BP estimate ? My earlier estimate was way off. This one below seems closer:

If the array is 25 percent effcent during 10 hours a day at 10 cents/kWh for an average 30 day month, it would equal $2.5/day, or $900/year.

.. suggesting no profit, but close to the cost of grid energy.
If you go to the BP web site you can get a somewhat rounded est. They will come to your house and do a complete est. There price sounds really high as I've checked other sites.Most peopleuse solar as supplemental to the grid. From what I've read about in Texas only some areas are able to dump excess back into the grid so there would be no need in over doing solar and or wind combo. They also have tracking motors that you attach the panels to that follow the sun. If we ever get to build our next house in the country I would love to have even just a small part solar,as
every little bit helps the enviroment. Kevin

Quick Reply: Anybody got a cool renewable energy source?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands