HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

aftermarket in-dash navi

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default aftermarket in-dash navi

i've been searching through every thread i can find relating to installing an aftermarket navi in the hch, but i haven't found much relating to an in-dash system. i checked crutchfield.com for compatiblity, but i'm not sure how accurate it is? is installing a navi into a hybrid different from installing a navi into any normal car?

i'm currently looking at the kenwood dnx7120 and was wondering if anyone had experience installing this unit or any in-dash unit in the hch. i want to have it professionally installed (any recommendations?). i checked with my dealer and they said that they did not have anyone qualified to do it, which leads me to believe it's not an easy install and i don't want to risk damaging anything. =\

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default Re: aftermarket in-dash navi

Kenwood site has a downloadable (PDF) installation manual for the dnx7120. The wiring and modifications are extensive and would probably be best left to a profe`ssional or a very experienced DIYer. See link below:

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manual...20_Install.pdf

Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

You can pretty much put any double din or single din unit into the car. You just need to get the panel and some brackets for the factory nav with is around $35. I was just about to buy a Pioneer Z series when they announced the new F series with voice control. I have my order in but they are a bit delayed with some firmware updates. I plan on doing the install myself, it sounds really easy check out 8thcivic.com for info but the dash comes apart easy and there are ready made adapters for the factory wiring harness. There is also a box for connecting the factory steering wheel controls. I plan on adding the backup cam and HD radio module. Bluetooth and Ipod control is included.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, good to know. Where do I get the panel and brackets? I read something about a metra kit.. Is that what your refering to?

Last edited by Joshvon; 07-19-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

metra kit does make one but I hear the OEM one is maybe a tad better match. You can get them from the parts counter at a dealer. There are complete parts lists needed for the swap on the other website.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tried posting some pics but they are too large. I have a Kenwood DNX 8120 in the dash and I love it. I also have a bunch of other equipment in the car to make my commute a bit more enjoyable.

You will want to buy the OEM dash piece. Nothing is as good as OEM. I have seen and heard of the after market kits not being dead on with the color and fit. You will need the following parts (these are OEM)

77250-SNA-A01ZC PNL, CENTER B160------dash piece
77256-SNA-A00------left side bracket
77255-SNA-A00------right side bracket

You will also need to get an antenna adapter.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

@ jayhawker

I am interested in knowing more of how you accomplished this. I bought a non-Navi 2008 HCH because I really have no use for an LCD that does not play video. GPS and the XM subscription service has never interested me (enough to pay the extra thousands of dollars for it anyway).

So I bought the standard Hybrid thinking I could make my own DIY-type touch-screen system with an internal hard drive. But have run into problems with the steering wheel controls and some of the programming involved.

I looked up the unit you have installed and it looks like a perfect solution, if used in tandem with the OEM centerpiece. But I have questions about how well it integrates with the car:

Do the stereo controls on the steering wheel work with the Kenwood unit or are they inoperable?

Also, just to clarify, you performed this on a non-navi hybrid correct?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

choada777, the 8120 looks perfect. I will take some low res pics and get them posted. Yes. I did in fact buy a "non nav" equipped car. I opted for the OEM pieces knowing nothing will never fit or look as good. I used the PAC for the steering wheel controls. The "volume" and "channel" buttons are the only two I have programmed. I DID NOT program the "mode" button as there are too many modes on the 8120. It took my buddy about 20 (this was the hardest part) minutes to program the steering wheel controls.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, please post some pictures... I would love to see the aftermarket installation.

Also, could someone please post the complete parts list with pricing and recommended sources?

I would love to add something like this to my '06 HCH as well.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

See the link below. I posted this up in August on the Civic forums. I have the DNX8120, KAC-X4R pushing 2 sets of Boston Pros (6.5's in the front and 5.5's in rear) and an X1R pushing a XW12. The only thing left to do is dynamat the entire car.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e...led-today.html

Quick Reply: aftermarket in-dash navi

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands