100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

The TCH has been on the road for several years now and I was curious about the experiences of those who have driven over 100,000 miles? Did your TCH change much? Did you have any noticeable changes in hybrid drive system? Do you have any suggestions for us? It would be interesting to learn from your experiences.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Bill

Last edited by HyCAMBill; 02-22-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Bill,

There are only three members that have a mileage in the 70,000 mile range if the database is correct. The rest of us are bringing up the rear....

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
The TCH has been on the road for several years now and I was curious about the experiences of those who have driven over 100,000 miles? Did your TCH change much? Did you have any noticeable changes in hybrid drive system? Do you have any suggestions for us? It would be interesting to learn from your experiences.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Bill
There's a write-up on a couple of 07 TCH in fleet use - 160K+ miles. Failures/replacements were more in the areas of the 'normal' rather than any hybrid-specific components, e.g. struts and tires. The link is at http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...v_reports.html

Last edited by Frodo; 02-23-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

I find it interesting that in the government test, the rear brake pads on one vehicle were replaced before the front. I had a friend with a Prius who also replaced his rears before the front. That's contrary to my experience with conventional vehicles.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I also noticed the rear brake pads were first to go - one at 80K & the other at 96K miles. Only one had done front pads and that was at 130K miles, but ended up doing rotors, too. I have read on another thread that the traction motor does most of the front braking, so I guess long lasting front pads kind of proves that fact.

One thing I don't understand is that only one had the transmission oil changed at 30K and 73K - I don't think it is on the scheduled maintance list until like 100K miles. I wonder if they had a reason?

Also, both vehicles needed to replace tire pressure sensors at 64 & 73K miles. They didn't specify how many - hopefully just one at a time. In addition one had to do rear struts and shocks at the same time - hopefully this was due to some type of severe use and not a recurring problem.

Overall, looks like we don't have to worry about much major maintenance in the first 100K miles. Looks like they didn't beleive in rotating tires - I do it every 5K miles along with an oil and filter change.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenSoren
I also noticed the rear brake pads were first to go - one at 80K & the other at 96K miles. Only one had done front pads and that was at 130K miles, but ended up doing rotors, too. I have read on another thread that the traction motor does most of the front braking, so I guess long lasting front pads kind of proves that fact.

One thing I don't understand is that only one had the transmission oil changed at 30K and 73K - I don't think it is on the scheduled maintance list until like 100K miles. I wonder if they had a reason?

Also, both vehicles needed to replace tire pressure sensors at 64 & 73K miles. They didn't specify how many - hopefully just one at a time. In addition one had to do rear struts and shocks at the same time - hopefully this was due to some type of severe use and not a recurring problem.

Overall, looks like we don't have to worry about much major maintenance in the first 100K miles. Looks like they didn't beleive in rotating tires - I do it every 5K miles along with an oil and filter change.
Noticed the thing about brakes, too. Wonder if the replacement was due to noise/vibration rather than the pads wearing out. One concern with lightly used brakes is that there may be a tendency to coat the rotor unevenly and not wear off corrosion, leading to shudder/noise/pulsation.

The tire pressure sensors could have been due to battery issue - I believe these are direct read xmitter. Although in that short of a time... Could also been the old habit of replacing valve stems with new tires...

Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Does the MPG still do as expected near or over 100K miles?

Does anyone know the life of the hybrid batteries? Are they more volatile, do they have to be replaced/fixed more than they should?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Miller

Check the post you made on TN. It was answered there.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

I have 68000 on my 07 TCH. Recently had the 60k service done. Taking it in this Fri for the TSB steering rack problem (no charge even though I am outside of warranty). Mileage is right around 38-39. I drive around 4k/month so I too, am interested in how this thing will do once it hits battery warranty expiration date. Rides and runs like new still. Any others out there with high mileage?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

I have just over 80,000miles 129,000km. Car still feels like new. I do have a recurring problem with pinging when the weather warms up. The only solution I have found is using Premium. Otherwise the car still feels great. Fuel consumption is a bit higher than new mostly because I don't try. For the fraction of a difference it makes, I find it safer to pay attention to the road. The car is feeling like it will go on for much longer. Doesn't show any signs of fatigue. Have had no repairs since new. Just regular maintenance and turning the brake rotors once. Brake pads still have lots of life. Battery doesn't seem to have lost power. I can still be in EV mode up to 65kmh for a few KMs. I plan to keep it for a very long time.
This car is still a deal when compared to anything else in it's size.

Quick Reply: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands