Need help figuring out aux jack sound problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Need help figuring out aux jack sound problems

I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid.
When I connect my iPhone via the aux jack and when the phone is plugged into the power outlet, I get a horrible electronic staticky noise from the front right speaker (only that speaker).
The speaker sounds fine when I unplug power, so it's not the speaker.
The problem existed in iOS 7 as well now with iOS 8, so it's not the software.
The problem spans all of the iPhone apps that play sound so it's not a specific app.
The problem existed on my iPhone 5S and now on my iPhone 6, so it's not the hardware.
I've wiped my iPhone and set it up as a new phone, so there's no legacy software problem that got carried from old to new.
I've checked both power outlets.
I've switched power adapters (it's a USB charger) as well as USB wires.
I've used both the lightning USB power cable as well as the 32 plug adapter with the lightning adapter.
I've borrowed a friend's hardwired power outlet (doesn't connect to a USB wire, just goes from power outlet to device).
So, having checked all the variables, the only thing I can think of is that it's the car's audio system.
Can someone who has a 2008 and an iPhone please let me know if they get a sound problem when using the aux input and when the the phone is plugged in?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Need help figuring out aux jack sound problems

This sounds like it might be ground loop noise. There are a lot of options available for addressing electronic noise, but one of the simplest to try is something like the PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter.

Crutchfield has a number of options: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/noise_filter.html.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.
I ordered it
This has been such a baffling annoyance

Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Okay, that was it...sort of.
I hooked up the filter and plugged everything in.
The right speaker no longer makes a loud electronic noise...it's now a very faint, barely audible, noise, one that I can live with.
However, no sound is coming from the right speaker (that's not a big deal, since I mostly listen to Talk Radio).
When I turn the Fader to the back speakers, there's more sound coming from the left side than the right (but not like the front where there is no sound at all).
Radio plays fine from right speakers, it's only the iPhone sound via aux jack that is problematic
As this isn't a huge problem (the car is seven years old and I've listed to four songs on the radio), I'll just deal with it until I get my next car (in another six or seven years).
Thanks!

Last edited by haroldo; 10-01-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:15 AM

The variable you did not check is the audio cable. That's the thing about Apple products. They are like German or British cars. Slightest "off" their connectors will cause a havoc. Why don't you try an android phone with a different cable? See what happens. I have none of this issue on 08 TCH and 09 Ridgeline.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

The first place I'd look is at the jack itself or the cable from the iphone. It sounds like the contacts aren't making good when the audio cable is inserted.

This could be as easy as wiggling the cable and twisting it in the jack at either end. Then I'd try another cable; they're not expensive. After that, I'd look aqt the jack itself.

The car is kind of a 'dirty' environment; dust, moisture, food, drink, children, spouses, etc... , and the jack could simply be dirty.

As a last resort, I'd get to the jack itself by diassembling the console and check / clean / resolder / replace as needed.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
The variable you did not check is the audio cable....
Wasn't going to go out and buy one, not a huge problem for me, I'm in the car by myself 90% of the time and listen to AM talk radio.
Originally Posted by RadioTek
The first place I'd look is at the jack itself or the cable from the iPhone...
Actually, I think I have it figured out and the culprit is (drum roll, please)...iOS software design.
Since I assumed I checked all the variables, I figured there must be a basic problem with iOS. I went to Settings/General/Accessibility/ and then scrolled down to the audio balance slider.
By default, it was set to 50/50
When I slid the slider to the RIGHT channel (0%/100%)…the left speaker didn't emit a sound (that’s what you’d have expected) however, the right speaker didn’t emit sound either.
When I slid the slider to the LEFT channel (100/0)…the left speaker was very loud, AND the right speaker emitted sound, not loud, but it was sound nonetheless.
That's not what you'd expect, since the slider, when it was all the way to the right (0/100) prevented the left speaker from emitting a sound...you'd assume similar behavior when it was reversed. In my experiment, putting it all the way to the left was the only way to get sound from the right speaker.
I set my car audio tuner's balance mostly to the right (30/70) and iOS's balance mostly to the left (70/30) and that balanced everything out.

Since this bug spanned OS’s and devices, it looks like a poor design.

If you have iOS, may I ask you to check and see if the balance slider in Settings/General/Accessibility operates the mine does.
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RadioTek
...Then I'd try another cable; they're not expensive...
Give the man a cigar!
New cable, old problem gone
Thanks!