For those not getting mileage you think you should

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default For those not getting mileage you think you should

Check your tire pressure, particularly the fronts. I personally would advise running them up to about 40 psi. Yes, the doorjamb sticker recommends 32 or 33 (can't remember which), but the max cold pressure on the sidewalls is 44. The manufacturer recommendations are not based purely on mileage, they're based on comfort as well. I pumped mine up to a little over 40 and found very little detectable noise or vibration increase. I don't know exactly how much difference it made in mileage, as my car has less than 500 miles and is still breaking in. I can say that in every vehicle I've ever raised the pressure (safely) in, it has gained at least a mile per gallon or so, some much more.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: For those not getting mileage you think you should

Unless you live on relatively smooth roads, high tire pressures come at a price w/harsher road noise on rough roads. I bought a 2010 Insight in GA, retired to WV, went to Michelns, completely gutted the interior, putting down rubber damping material and would not dare go over 33 PSI after all that.

The Accords are no Acura, but very close in interior ride quality, as is, but beat the Insight hands down in every category, but price.

Smaller power planted vehicles are very sensitive to throttle position, MPG's will vary dramatically accordingly. Always trying to be smoooooth in all throttle/braking applications will bring the best returns.

Last edited by 10InsightFred; 10-21-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: For those not getting mileage you think you should

True, which is why I said I found very little increase in noise or vibration. If this was a tin can car I'd expect the noise increase to have been greater. Within the pressure limits of the tires, it can't hurt. If the increase in noise is too much for someone, they can simply reduce tire pressures until it's not.