Lower arm/ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Lower arm/ball joints

I've posted a good bit of this on the 100,000 miles thread & the engine mounts thread. Worth recapping and considering some more.

As a result of the ChassisEAR unit I now know: the knocking is not in the transaxle and is not in the engine. If the inner CV Plunge joint were going bad it would appear in the transaxle noise. If the outer flex CV joint were going bad that would appear in the mounting bolt for the strut. Thus I also think the CV Half shaft is not a source of the knocking.

Also there is no evidence of anything striking something around the wheel.

The noise seems to be loudest at the strut midpoint (eg the sway bar link mounting pad).

The noise is present at the strut top and in the spring, but muted. Since there is a resilient pad underneath the spring and another under top bolt this indicates the knocking is below the spring.

All below the spring is hard connected or bolted.

So at this point I think that the lower arm/ball joint along with either, or both, of the two resilient mounts where the arm attaches to the frame are my next target.

Any thoughts?