Strut Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Strut Replacement Cost

I have a 2007 TCH and I think the suspension is getting tired. I have around 130,000 miles. Has anybody had their dealer or other service facility replace the struts front and rear? If so, what was your cost? And did you get Monroe or KYB? My dealer today gave me a quote of around $1300 parts and labor and I thought that sounded pretty high. I was expecting more around the $600-$700 range total, when I saw the labor processes involved (removing rear seat, etc).

Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Strut Replacement Cost

Which shock to buy depends on how you drive the car. If you think it is an extended range race car, get the KYB struts. If you drive sedately and prefer a softer ride, get the Monroe struts...

Either way, source them from Rock Auto and, by the book, you will need to add 2.9 hours for the front struts and 2.6 hours for the rear shocks for labor (5.5 hours total).

For most shops, you are looking at $450 to $550 for labor plus struts. If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools, there are a couple of sticky's in this forum that show you how to change them out and save yourself a bundle. It is not a very hard job to do at all, just time consuming.

You can get the struts loaded (with a spring) or take them to a shop that can replace the strut inside the compressed spring for you for a reasonable price. You can also rent the tools from auto parts stores to do the job as well but be aware that the compressed springs are VERY dangerous to screw around with unless you have the proper equipment...

Old 11-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

And don't forget the alignment afterwards.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

1. you do not need to remove rear seat to replace rear strut. Done that.
2. Get KYBs, original struts. Monroes too soft.
3. This will help. 9 hrs labor only (which is bs, as I did 2nd front strut in about 20 minutes)