HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hesitent clutch at an early start,

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hesitent clutch at an early start,

During a cold start, the clutch does like to take over a second to get into gear. I can rev a little and it prompts it in to gear it seems, but if I go to fast it misses and I get a code that goes away after I restart the car. Im going to change the fluid soon, but maybe I need to change the filter as well? Maybe a flush? its only been 16k miles, but has been doing this all winter, but wont do it after car is warm.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hesitent clutch at an early start,

What you describe sounds exactly like what mine did exactly when the fluid was low. It was completely intolerant of low fluid. The next fluid change, I ignored the dip stick and put exactly 3 qts in (prior was about 2.75 qt). it was just a touch over the max mark, and it worked great after that.

I changed it every other oil change - about 12-15K miles.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
What you describe sounds exactly like what mine did exactly when the fluid was low. It was completely intolerant of low fluid. The next fluid change, I ignored the dip stick and put exactly 3 qts in (prior was about 2.75 qt). it was just a touch over the max mark, and it worked great after that.

I changed it every other oil change - about 12-15K miles.
Alright, I think I will change the fluid. Its too bad I cant change all 6 quarts somehow, but I guess this will do. Have you changed the transmission filter by chance? I saw where its at, but looks rather hard to do since it would spill all over.

12-15k miles? Im impressed your doing what I am doing

Old 02-27-2017, 03:04 PM

I would assert that you're doing what I did given that I've recommended it many times, and I no longer own the vehicles.

Flushing the fluid can be accomplished by 3 consecutive fluid changes 1 week apart. 94% of your fluid will be less than 2 weeks old at that point.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I would assert that you're doing what I did given that I've recommended it many times, and I no longer own the vehicles.

Flushing the fluid can be accomplished by 3 consecutive fluid changes 1 week apart. 94% of your fluid will be less than 2 weeks old at that point.
oh lol

I was referring to motor oil I could marry amsoil

If amsoil goes down in price I will use it. Hopefully it will actually last.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Ah... no... oil changes very 6-7.5K with CVT fluid every other.

I don't subscribe to any of the snake oil claims, nor do I buy the alarmist BS about changing oil every 3K miles. Absurd. Most manufacturers are pushing their recommending oil change intervals higher.